• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Flippin eck mate :woot: glad you didn't give the tank away, after seeing this planted up I don't think anyone else would of done it justice :clap:
Hahaha thanks pal. I'm glad you like it mate really am. Just hope I can keep you liking it. Could have been in yours this thing months back too ;)

Not been around for a while but I had heard that you were moving house. I see you're doing the same top class of
Scapes that we have come to expect from you. You always come up with crackers and the whole shallow tank thing gives your set ups a very distinctive look.
Your set ups always make me smile.
All the best from Bill. :D

Hello there Bill, great to hear from you again, really good. I hope your on to stay more often now mate?? How are you?
Yeah i moved house, it was tough but well worth it.
It's really overwhelming to hear comments such as yours, I just hope I can keep up this level and keep you smiling. Really inspiring words to keep me ontop of water changes and cleaning etc. It's almost ever other day with this. I'm trying George's method of clinically spotless plants, hardscape etc. It's hardwork but worth every minute..

I'll be taking some updated photos of it tomorrow, lots of growth from the tripartia, sp Mini and Marsilea but the Monte Carlo is very slow in this tank. Very unusual considering it's blossoming in my low tech.

Hi again Al, I think you need to employ a media team to answer all these posts!
I'm a bit curious as to what regular maintenance actually means for a tank this size. Could you give us a rundown of an average maintenance session if you have the time, I am especially interested in the water change aspect.

Hi Alastair,

congratulations, you have a great mounting!

this trunk is fantastic and in a aquarium with this measure is the best!

good continuation

greetings

Hi again Al, I think you need to employ a media team to answer all these posts!
I'm a bit curious as to what regular maintenance actually means for a tank this size. Could you give us a rundown of an average maintenance session if you have the time, I am especially interested in the water change aspect.

Hiya Bill,
Of course I can yes. Every other day I'll do roughly ten percent water change, but it's done whilst I'm siphoning water through air line into a bucket.
This means any detritus or plant matter can be gently taken away, especially any under areas of the wood that have a lesser flow and also the detritus that gets caught in the moss. I've never kept on top of moss previously so I'm making sure that everything stays as clean and dirt free as possible to prevent gradual build up. Plus, co2 is being injected at uncountable levels which in turn requires more ferts which again leads to more plant matter.
I have no algae crew in this tank barring a couple of ramshorns so this is something else I check for.
Then come Saturday it's just 50 percent water change and it's done.

I'll eventually dial it down to the point that all my various Taiwan bees, snowhites etc can all move across and I'll switch to the trickle filter system then.

looks awesome Al. Looking forward to some updates on it :)

Big confidence boost their cheers Stu. Plenty of updates starting to come from this weekend.

Still having a bit of a problem with Monte Carlo not doing much though. Really strange

That really looks the business.
With a bit of luck that ol'tree may start to take root and could be in full blossom come next spring!
But seriously, well done.

That really looks the business.
With a bit of luck that ol'tree may start to take root and could be in full blossom come next spring!
But seriously, well done.

Thanks wick. Kind words. Love the wood alot. And my final plant layout once fully grown in should look good.

Hi all

I'll be taking some photo updates with my camera tomorrow, plants are really taking off.
I haven't added one specific stem plant as yet as I want to have everything else how I want it then grow the fine red stem for its final shot.

I've changed the flow layout now, the spray bar in a tank this shallow was a pain as too powerful at the very front of the tank causing a nice trench along the front.
Flow is perfectly circular with movement on every plant in their. Touch wood no signs of algae, really healthy plants growing at a good fast rate.

Had the pleasure of Ady over yesterday as have his na tank in my living room now which he was bringing over, and looks absolutely stunning, really stunning. A totally different class of tank.
Great guy was here hours,( shame you didn't get to see the big tank arrive mate) and think he was ready for stealing the wood.
I thought I was running the co2 pretty fast but he reminded me that given the huge surface area the tank has, to up the injection rate even more, I did it's yellow at lights on now, so growth should be really rapid now which I'm looking forward to. It was pearling like crazy today. I just need the weeping moss to actually do something. It's not budged in the slightest in the 3 or 4 weeks it's been running.

I'll also have my journal for my big tank starting this week, and the NA set up will done in tandem with the big one but high impact low tech for all my shrimp.

Pics to follow thanks everyone

Last edited:
It was great to catch up again yesterday Al :thumbup:
It's like an aquarists zoo at your house with your various set ups mate, shrimp nanos, the biotope style 'oaklands' tank with your lovely collection of gouramis and that epic queen arabesque plec :cool:, the high tech 'Back to my Roots' scape and of course the mammoth tank that's soon to arrive. Although it was a shame it hadn't arrived, I could really appreciate the scale of it from the footprint of the stand......its mahoosive :eek: Really looking forward to that journal mate....and to think your considering going even bigger :crazy::D

This scape though is really nice, the first thing that draws your attention is the wood. Honestly it's such an awesome find and fits perfectly with the dimensions of this tank. I love the panorama the shallow height gives and the depth is incredible for scaping. The wood stands out now and steals the show to a degree, it could easily have been used for a hardscape only set up because it's such a nice piece, a perfect fit for the tank and so intricate. Having said that though a few months down the line, once this has fully grown in, the wood will be only one piece of the puzzle and it will just form the base for defining the lines of the overall aquascape. The plants will soften, disguise and enhance it and it will all blend perfectly with the choice of plants. I think the hydrocotle is a great plant and works really well with rooty wood scapes and once the Monte Carlo takes hold its smaller size and vibrant green will make it an ideal foreground plant to merge into the bright hydrocotle. The tenellus, which can get that slightly brown/red hue, will help transition back to the brown crypts and wood and will creep into the foreground also to give a natural feel. Once the moss takes it will add a nice contrast to the lighter greens, and with the occasional splash of brown from the crypts and tenellus, the colours will balance nicely.......then when you add a focal red stem plant that will really pop and give your mind something else to consider, maybe it wants to lean more towards an orange red rather than a really bright red to fit with the rest of the scape but you can try some and see what fits.
I know your unsure about the emergent growth on this one as your trying to focus on the submersed scape, but honestly I feel it would be great to extend your planting upwards too. It will only add to the feel and that echinodorus could be the start of a transition of more plants onto the exposed stump IMO.
This has bags of potential and I'm looking forward to seeing it a few months in, the scape has a really nice feel and balance and the more the plants grow in that will only be enhanced :thumbup: Looking back at your earlier photos the growth is obvious to me, the hydrocotle has filled in massively, as too the tenellus and although you were a little concerned about the mc it looked healthy and doesn't seem to have gone backwards so hopefully with that bit extra co2 it will soon carpet the foreground.

I'm sure you'll put the NA to good use also mate, I'm pleased it's gone to a good home.

Cheerio,
Ady.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Al, and I can't wait for the photos. Ady always shows his knowledge in his posts, I am not suprised that he had some suitable advice.
Thanks to Ady too, it's nice to hear a point of view from someone who has seen this tank in the flesh, besides Al I mean.

It was great to catch up again yesterday Al :thumbup:
It's like an aquarists zoo at your house with your various set ups mate, shrimp nanos, the biotope style 'oaklands' tank with your lovely collection of gouramis and that epic queen arabesque plec :cool:, the high tech 'Back to my Roots' scape and of course the mammoth tank that's soon to arrive. Although it was a shame it hadn't arrived, I could really appreciate the scale of it from the footprint of the stand......its mahoosive :eek: Really looking forward to that journal mate....and to think your considering going even bigger :crazy::D

This scape though is really nice, the first thing that draws your attention is the wood. Honestly it's such an awesome find and fits perfectly with the dimensions of this tank. I love the panorama the shallow height gives and the depth is incredible for scaping. The wood stands out now and steals the show to a degree, it could easily have been used for a hardscape only set up because it's such a nice piece, a perfect fit for the tank and so intricate. Having said that though a few months down the line, once this has fully grown in, the wood will be only one piece of the puzzle and it will just form the base for defining the lines of the overall aquascape. The plants will soften, disguise and enhance it and it will all blend perfectly with the choice of plants. I think the hydrocotle is a great plant and works really well with rooty wood scapes and once the Monte Carlo takes hold its smaller size and vibrant green will make it an ideal foreground plant to merge into the bright hydrocotle. The tenellus, which can get that slightly brown/red hue, will help transition back to the brown crypts and wood and will creep into the foreground also to give a natural feel. Once the moss takes it will add a nice contrast to the lighter greens, and with the occasional splash of brown from the crypts and tenellus, the colours will balance nicely.......then when you add a focal red stem plant that will really pop and give your mind something else to consider, maybe it wants to lean more towards an orange red rather than a really bright red to fit with the rest of the scape but you can try some and see what fits.
I know your unsure about the emergent growth on this one as your trying to focus on the submersed scape, but honestly I feel it would be great to extend your planting upwards too. It will only add to the feel and that echinodorus could be the start of a transition of more plants onto the exposed stump IMO.
This has bags of potential and I'm looking forward to seeing it a few months in, the scape has a really nice feel and balance and the more the plants grow in that will only be enhanced :thumbup: Looking back at your earlier photos the growth is obvious to me, the hydrocotle has filled in massively, as too the tenellus and although you were a little concerned about the mc it looked healthy and doesn't seem to have gone backwards so hopefully with that bit extra co2 it will soon carpet the foreground.

I'm sure you'll put the NA to good use also mate, I'm pleased it's gone to a good home.

Cheerio,
Ady.

Sorry for the late reply back Ady, been mega busy the last couple of weeks. Finally got time to get back on and post again.
It was great to catch up with you too mate, time went a little too fast and not many scapers up this way to mingle with. Sorry for keeping you from getting into your car and stood shivering from the cold ha ha.

I'm glad you got to see my various tanks, and the queen arabesque is looking stunning now. Chocco are breeding for me also which will be mega fun trying to stop the discus from taking nibbles. Grrr

Your comments on the shallow scape are very kind, I can see how you must plan your scapes as your eyes were taking in every detail of the wood, plants, layout etc. You looked like you wanted to whisk it away lol.

I've taken in your thoughts on an a more orange stem to add in when the rest has filled in and will be getting that soon. Co2 is at a stupidly high rate now, drop checkers are yellow constantly ( God knows how the ramshorns survive), heavily dosing ferts and its all growing in really lush and vibrant.
Just need the Monte Carlo to catch up as it still seems a little slow. Very odd. The echinodorous at the back is breaking surface nicely, a new species from dennerle and moss is doing good emmersed on the wood and a maidenhair or grass plant of some sort will be on the wood.

The NA is definitely going to good use, the shrimp will love a high tech looking low tech in their, and now the monster tank is next to it and all vinyl wrapped, the two will look stunning together.
Setting the biggie up will be great fun and hope your able to make it.

Thanks again mate and will see you soon I hope???

Regards

Alastair

Thanks for the info Al, and I can't wait for the photos. Ady always shows his knowledge in his posts, I am not suprised that he had some suitable advice.
Thanks to Ady too, it's nice to hear a point of view from someone who has seen this tank in the flesh, besides Al I mean.
Hey bill, thanks mate. Photos up tomorrow, straight from the camera, it's looking well.

"I'm not surprised he had some suitable advice" how rude. Only kidding. Any advice off Ady is good advice. Regarding people seeing the tanks in the flesh, I'm thinking of arranging a northern meet, go round a few local stores, then an invite back to mine for everyone to look at the tanks.

Promise I'll sort the photos for this tomorrow, especially as I told a young gent I met from Northern Ireland that i would.

Also, my stunning mahoosive optiwhite is all ready to go soon. It's all good fun

Thanks

Alastair

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viewing your threads almost everyday waiting for a pic update!

Hey ryno
Sorry for that, had a few things in the pipeline get in the way of photos etc.
Anyway I'm free now to get posting regular updates again on all my journals.

This one is growing at a huge rate, esoecoslly the hydrocotyle tripartia which has a trim each week. Monte Carlo is now finally getting going well, and some crypt flamingo added for a patch of colour.

Just a couple of phone pics from the new iPhone 6 plus and will get my photos off my camera after Xmas of all the various shots.

16066981366_9aa62af980_b.jpg
'Back to my roots' after a heavy trim by Mr-T-, on Flickr

16092059692_febcae0212_b.jpg
'Back to my roots' after trim by Mr-T-, on Flickr

Sent from my iPhone 6 plus
using Tapatalk

Yeah looks cool. Something like the emmersed growth on the wood like in your previous scapes will look cool to hide the places where the wood was sawed. I myself will be setting up a 90x60x30h tank end of january when im settled into the new place. Cant wait for the massive tank also you will be setting up

Have a good Christmas Alastair
Looking forward to your close up and detail shots. Those roots ...... Off the hook

I really, really liked the tank and the way it has shaped up :) :) Are you planning to have some lagenandra/crypt/echinodorous popping out of water behind the wood?

Cheers,

Karthik

I would like to see some stemplants emerging around the stump:oops:
Hi ed,
There will be a stem plant put in shortly I just want the Monte Carlo to catch up otherwise I'll be trimming stems every other day.
Have a good Christmas Alastair
Looking forward to your close up and detail shots. Those roots ...... Off the hook
Thanks Darren, I hope you had a great Christmas too. Will pop the detail shots up shortly.
Ha ha, those roots can be yours once it's grown in to final photo stage.

I really, really liked the tank and the way it has shaped up :) :) Are you planning to have some lagenandra/crypt/echinodorous popping out of water behind the wood?

Cheers,

Karthik
Hi Kathik, very kind of you thank you. I certainly am, there is a species of echinodorous behind the wood which has just broke surface, it's a new species with almost arrow head like leaves and a red tinge around the edge. I wouldn't be able to keep enough humidity in the room for emmersed crypts or leganendra. I'm putting those in my exo terra.
That is fantastic!

thanks buddy appreciate your honesty. I'm really happy with it too so far.

using Tapatalk

Yeah looks cool. Something like the emmersed growth on the wood like in your previous scapes will look cool to hide the places where the wood was sawed. I myself will be setting up a 90x60x30h tank end of january when im settled into the new place. Cant wait for the massive tank also you will be setting up
Hi Ryno,
Yeah it's a tough one, the sawn off bit at the front is in a really awkward spot to cover, too high for maidenhair fern but I have a plan. It'll give the remaining woodlice something nice to hang out in anyway.

Great dimensions for your tank. What plans do you have for it???

Cant wait for the massive tank also you will be setting up

This big tank? Me neither ;)
15932034399_2b5989f5a1_b.jpg
Untitled by Mr-T-, on Flickr

using Tapatalk

Back