• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Substrate for restarting a tank

LukeDaly

Hello Guys,

Doing a full re-build of my Scapers tank hopefully before Christmas!
What sort of substrate would you recommend for a high tech tank? Co2, Ei ferts etc.

I have gone dirt topped with sand the last few times, and don't fancy doing another dirt tank.
Sand on the other hand I think looks great, but i am not so sure it would be good for plants on its own?

Recommend me a nice looking natural substrate guys!

Thanks in advance!
Luke.

Keep in mind with sand, it tends to get dirty quite easily. I have some in my set up and wish I hadn't used it. It looks really nice to begin with, but the sand at the front of the glass started to turn brown after a few weeks, I guess from bacteria build up etc. And if you're going to grow a carpet plants, you need something a bit heavier for the roots to latch onto else they uproot very easily while cleaning, plus the carpet plants cover the sand and you can't see it anyway.

Just some advice which I wish someone had told me before hand!

I don't believe that there are any differences regarding the use of different types of soil. However, I did read something about the need to acclimate terrestrial soil to submerged through soaking the soil for a period of time. I forgot the scientific reason for it so Darrel or Clive maybe able to comment on it. Although, I have never soaked the soil and peat I have used and if has never caused me problems. At least to the best of my knowledge and observation.

Back