• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CRS setup. Is there anything I have forgotten?

might not be too important, but crypt roots I gather are not great for CRS if they are exposed to them, so make sure they are buried..

Yer I read freshly cut anubias roots were bad. I figured that if they'd been in the tank for a couple of weeks during cycling then anything toxic would have leached away, helped by some big water changes. But if it's a myth then no problem anyway!! :)

I agree with the others, it's a total myth about the Anubias.

My breeding CRS male moved into my Anubia walled tank all by himself not long after hacking the roots off many Anubias and planting them in the wall, no water changes had been performed up to this point so if the roots were leaking any toxins they would have all still been there when Geronimo arrived. The Anubias are Nana Bonsai variety, some roots have broken off since planting and remain in the tank to break down, there are also torn leaves, one or two made recently when I was chasing down berried cherries to evict, there is also a Coffeefolia in there that was not doing well when bought as it had an open wound, it struggles and has also tried to grow an emerged leaf which died, so if this other type of Anubia leaks toxins they should be in the tank right now.

The shrimp in this tank thrive!

:)

c7d4ba5b4f711470961c0c598a4f96f0.jpg

Really happy to stumble across this the other day!!!!!!!!! Been away so couldn't post until now. I first saw her like this on jan 16th so fingers crossed for some babies mid feb!!!!

In my head it seemed like this has taken ages but thinking about I've only had them for 2.5 months so not too long a settling in period. Hopefully more will be berried soon!! Now they are all bigger I think I have more females than I initially thought!!!! :)

I have to move this tank to a new house next weekend so bit nervous of her dropping the eggs during the move! I plan to retain all of the water so no chemistry changes. I'll just lower the water level and minimise sloshing as much as possible during transportation!! :-/ anyone got any other tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice one!

If it were me I would net the shrimp and put in a safe container (container you're going to transport the water in would do, assuming it's a sealable container) and completely drain the tank for the move, if the tank gets jumbled accidentally (only really needs one slosh) it won't be hard to scape it back to the way it was. It would be unlucky if she drops the eggs but at least you know you have a viable female, the only way I can think why she would drop the eggs would be if during the move the detritus in the substrate got stirred up into a cloud and her eggs were coated with it and she couldn't clean them completely and she decided they are unviable and jettison them to start again (she will already be saddled with viable eggs whilst carrying eggs in the undercarriage), only likely if transported in tank and you get a mini tidal wave from a small amount of jostling that ends up causing a cloud.

:)

Cheers X3NiTH, haven't moved them yet. Will need to in the next few days. Good advice. Will probably so that.

On another happy note: Although not a massive achievement, one of the cherry shrimp in this tank is now berried as well!! Lots of shrimplets soon hopefully!!

I sell strong shrimps and as you see they start to breed as it should - after 4 months :) usually i sell shrimps 6-8 weeks old and if tank i properly set up you can easy get young ones.

Hi all,

So the move went ok. The substrate is a bit less sloping after transportation which is slightly annoying as the tank has lost the some of it's appearance of depth but otherwise no problems. Shrimp are all fine. The berried CRS and RCS didn't lose their eggs. However I've just done the maths and the CRS has now been berried for at least 39 days!! First spotted on the 16th of January!

She looks ready to pop!! Eggs all have 2 discernible eyes and eggs are noticeable larger. Is it usual for them to be berried this long? I heard ca. 30 days. Maybe I spotted this on the very first day and and other people generally don't notice for a few days or do you think environmental factors could play a role. Temp:19-21 degrees Centigrade.

Hopefully shrimplets within the next day or two.

I heard that the longer the female carried the eggs the bigger/stronger the shrimplets will be. Don't know if it is true but my shadow panda carried her last lot of eggs well over 30 days.

Interesting. Makes sense if the energy content within eggs is there for the them to develop over a longer period into larger, stronger shrimplets I suppose. Invertebrate biology is a mystery to me still!

Spotted the first two shrimplets!!!! The mother is still berried so she must be in the process of giving birth!! Again I am surprised because I assumed it was a quick birthing process. But you learn new things everyday! I'm working from home today and the tank is on my desk!! Very little work will be getting done!!!!

The shrimplets are about 4mm long and out and about already. Some faint colours are visible. The first two have a a red carapace and some white striping along the abdominal sections. Looks like they will be standard striped CRS.

Are you sure you only had one berried as new shrimplets are usually more like 2mm long. So small it hurts your eyes!

It is beautiful. However for me, the tank is more suited to neocaridinas rather than caridines. Keeping stable the parameters in this small tank is difficult and requires very much discipline. Said that if you do PWC every week the same amount 10-15 % you will be fine. The akadama will help you a lot to keep the parameters stable and the ph low.

Is a beautiful cube tank. Thanks for sharing it.

Back