• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Best led for 8ft?

gareth

Seedling
hello im guessing this question has been asked many times but here goes again.

what is in everybody's best opinion is the best led to use i have an 8ft tank which im converting from marine to FW. i have been using maxspect razors which are good lights but on my small marine tank i have an evergrow it2060 which im very impreesed with.
both these brands are common among marine tanks but not sure on FW.

search spectrum here, and you'll find that the kelvin temperature does not matter for plant growth .
I have a 10k reef led that photosynthesizes nicely but a little too blue for me so i add a rosette tube in the foreground to balance the color.

i have been looking at some cheaper ones on ebay as i thought if i sell my razors i can pay for the new lights and have some cash over for other goodies.
i would presume having it controllable would be an advantage incase they are too intense i think i read somewhere you can almost burn the plants if its too bright. (obviously not literally burn them)

Hi Gareth, it is best to look at at lighting a planted tank from a slightly differant perspective, we try to match the light to the amount of available CO2.
It is very easy to use too much light & quite difficult to get enough CO2 to the plants.

With a tank of size of yours, you will have your work cut out with flow and CO2 demand so I would definitely go for adjustable light intensity.
Colour spectrum is more about your own choice as to how you want your tank to look but 6500 - 8000k is popular and looks natural.

I searched the specs on the maxspect they are a nice unit!
It looks they are dimmer capable so that is an option rather then taking a loss and selling them for a different light.

Thanks for the inputs guy's. Don't get me wrong the razors are fantastic lights but the white light on them just isn't very crisp if that makes sense on my small cue marine tank i have a evergrow it 2040 and it makes everything pop they are also fully adjustable. the razors work well on a reef setup just don't think they are suited for fw.

Try them if the color is to washed out for your liking then Goggle ukaps lighting color there's a great comparison chart here somewhere

Back