• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mixing ferts & Carbon

I have often wondered this, as in my case would save purchasing another dosing pump just for liquid carbon. However as you can't buy ready made ferts and carbon and one of the main ingredients of liquid carbon is the reactive and disinfectant gluteraldehyde one assumes it must react with the ferts.

Cheers Ian.

I thought after my first post, I'd never seen a pre made mix so there must be some reason.......or a massive gap in the market o_O

They're obviously in contact with each other in the aquarium but at a weak concentrate, so would be nice to know exactly why they don't mix or wouldn't be compatible in the same bottle.

In fact thinking about it, I'd have to dilute the fert quite a bit to be on par with the daily carbon dose, so maybe it could work??

I think we need some proper scientists on board with an explanation :D

Last edited:
I think it causes chelation? I know there's a definite reason but can't remember for sure if that's it.

Let me answer this in return of your lenghty post in my thread!

You can basically mix everything with carbon. I tried it with my NPK mix and traces and no problems at all. Carbon and traces is even sold in one bottle. The only things that aren't compatible are PO4 and iron (traces). So you still need two bottles, but you can add carbon to both. Adding it to the NPK will cause absolutely zero problems. Adding it to the traces will even prevent fungus and stuff growing in it but I didn't notice any problems. And can't think of any problems either chemically.

I'm digging this up again. I want to mix my Macro and Carbon (glutaraldehyde) together for dosing via peristaltic pump.Are you sure they will not react in the bottle?

Back