• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Twinstar..what is it?

If this is an ozone generator then it creates and releases O3 which oxidises fine particles of mater. I used to use one in my marine aqurium when I had a colour tinge. I ran ozone through the sump by bubbling it into the skimmer and it burnt out the fine organic particles and the water turned a lovely bright clear again. It's a cheat for water changes really. Like burning off organic matter instead of diluting it with water changes. Worked great mind but you could over dose it. Many people I knew who killed off all their fish by using too much ozone. Once it's done its oxidising its plain olde oxygen O2 but beware if there is nothing to react with then the aquarium and room can fill with ozone which is harmful to breath in for fish or humans. I really don't feel that there is a need for ozone in freshwater aquariums! There was hardly a need in marine setups. It was for me anyhow a last resort to get the yellowing of the water to cease. After that I rarely needed it.

I ditched mine, I had the nicest algae (BGA and spyro) outbreak during my one week vacation. One week later, after tweaking the things that triggered the outbreak, the tank looks better than it did with the twinstar and the annoying mist is gone.
If this thing can't slow down, at least, an algae outbreak for the ones that says it works against than for me it's useless.
Now I wish I'd spent the money on something better like the ADA Aquasky I wanted to order in the first place ... :p

The Twinstar is definitely an electrolyzer, so it makes an electrolyzed water (rich in hydrogen and oxygen). I have tested it thoroughly with my friend who's electrician (he inspected the device with oscilloscope also). My findings are published on the following website: http://www.prirodni-akvarium.cz/index.php?id=rasy_nanobublinky. The informations and charts are not complete yet. I'll do a dissolved oxygen test also. There is much current debate over whether electrolysed water is beneficial to plants and fish between scientists, and although the positive effects of this water look promissing, it was not proven yet.

Ive been using the Twinstar Nano on a new tank and heres my feedback :

1] It does go a long way in preventing GSA on the Aquarium glass. I dont have any on this tank and I susually do have some in most of my tanks.

2] Doesnt help at all wit any non green algae

3] Doesnt do much as far as keeping hardscape clean goes. Just the rocks in a few inches radius are a tad cleaner than the rest

4] One great feature is that its been keeping my external filter pipes a LOT cleaner, so I can go longer between filter cleanings

5] It seems to keep the water 'fresher'. While my tanks dont smell at all, if I put my arms in to do some maintenance, etc they usually come out smelling 'planty' but with the Twinstar there is only a very slight smell

6] I cant really say whether it has had any positive impact on plant growth because I do know how to grow them. However it may just be a coincidence but this is the only time I have been successful at growing UG. Its spreading like a weed ! However, I can just as well attribute the growth to the new Planting Soil that I have formulated and trying out :)

7) Would I buy another one ? It does have some nice benefits but only if the price was dropped by 40-50% and if it comes in black :D

i think mines goosed.

To be fair it does seem to work when its running but mine started collecting calcium all over the diode and blocking the metal part. Ive had it in de-scaler which removes it overnight only to find it re-grows all the deposits within days after that :(

Is your water really that hard ? :O

Or could it be some calcium or magnesium compound thats got a greater affinity for the electrodes and your get some sort of electroplating thing going on ?

Ive got 50 odd kilos of Seiryu in there so Im guessing thats the source but the unit has been in there running since the beginning of the year with no problems up until about a month ago and hadnt fuzzed up before

and water is really soft as im in wales :)

Hi there.
it might be somewhere in topic, but reading 30 pages would take a time..
how to you free the redactor mesh from calcium? My one is blocked out and
I just noticed it today. I know they have some special solution but again
1. I could not find it online
2. I guess it will be overpriced
3. It should be something simple to use instead

As far as I know (but I know very little abut chemical processes) the solution is something
that reacts with calcium and makes it to dissolve. Managed to find on some forums - it is
hydrochloric acid. I assume it is the same thing what twinstar might sell seriously overpriced.

Any experience with this? anything I can get in pharmacy or hardware store to clean it?
If hydrochloric acid is available on its own, how strong should it be (%).

Any advice would be much appreciated.

thanks

no stress.

25% White vinegar does wonders.
30Min and not a sign of calcium and Twinstar works like a new.
Fine mist as like a first time in. I guess I have my issue sorted.

My twinstar was COVERED with green algae. The mesh was fine though, I guess it works at preventing algae in the mesh.

Back