• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bottled water

mr. luke

Started up a small tank using bottled water that is perfect for crs straight from the bottle (gh 4, kh 1-2 tds 90) but i want to run through a few things on the bottle.
Could you tell me if the following analasys will pose any problems?
Sodium 9 mgl
Chloride 12mgl.
Thank you for your time :)

Hi all,
Sodium 9 mgl, Chloride 12mgl.
Not a problem, "mgl" (really mgl-1 ) is the same as "ppm", so relatively little of either element.

You can think about it terms of grains of salt (sodium chloride - NaCl), you need to do a bit of quick maths, but Na has a RAM = 23 and Cl = 35.5, therefore the RMM of NaCl is 58.5 and the % of Na &Cl is Na = 39% and Cl = 61%.

That also almost certainly gives you the source of the Na & Cl in the bottled water as well (from NaCl).

1g = 1000mg, so 1g of salt contains 390mg of Na & 610 mg of Cl. One gram of salt in 1 litre of H2O would be 390ppm Na and 610 ppm Cl, but you have 9 and 12 ppm Na & Cl respectively.

So approx. 1/45 of a gram of NaCl in every litre of bottled water. A grain of salt weighs about 0.0004g so we are talking about 15 grains of salt in a litre of bottled water

cheers Darrel

There are tables of uk bottled water analysis online, just pick the brand that matches your chosen parameters. I did it with my aquanano 30.

I have added a mix of gh booster and a small ammount of trace to bring this upto 130 now but my gh test is playing up...
Less than half a mil in 5 litres of water and the gh is supposedly somewhere above 30 so i need to figure out how to get a better readling as i know this isnt right.

Edit

Tds 130
Kh 1-2
Gh 6-7

Seems better after some tweaking.

Opinions on gh seem to var between 1-8 depending on where you read.
I think ill replace a bit of the water with bottled to bring the gh down a touch and pop a bit more trace fert in

Last edited:
Back