• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Project DIY ADA Style Aquarium Stand

Most beautiful aquarium stand I've ever seen. Reminds me of the movel wide pro from NA. How did you apply the wood-like surface on top of the MDF so it seems like the doors ans front pannel are one peace?

Most beautiful aquarium stand I've ever seen. Reminds me of the movel wide pro from NA. How did you apply the wood-like surface on top of the MDF so it seems like the doors ans front pannel are one peace?

Hello Maxlaf,

Thank you very much. Massive compliment!
I cut the veneer the size of the whole face ( panel and two doors) then cut them down from there keeping margins small when I stuck them to the plywood.

Welcome to the forum by the way :)

Cheers,
N

Anybody have any tips on how to get good/non fluffy/non pitted edges on the mdf? Is it just a case of assembling, fine sanding,priming then sanding priming sanding priming the edges over and over?

Anybody have any tips on how to get good/non fluffy/non pitted edges on the mdf? Is it just a case of assembling, fine sanding,priming then sanding priming sanding priming the edges over and over?
Im afraid so terry, you could fill first, it its still a lot of sanding though
Get your base coats right and the finish will be so much better

So after priming do you sand the paint all the way back to the mdf? Or is that not possible because it soaks in so deep? Sorry if that's a stupid question!

Hello Maxlaf,

Thank you very much. Massive compliment!
I cut the veneer the size of the whole face ( panel and two doors) then cut them down from there keeping margins small when I stuck them to the plywood.

Welcome to the forum by the way :)

Cheers,
N

Do you keep a little bit more veneer when you apply it or you cut it the exact size. If you keep a little bit more to play with, how do you remove it? Having problem with my own ada-like cabinet at the moment..

And thx for the welcome :)

Do you keep a little bit more veneer when you apply it or you cut it the exact size. If you keep a little bit more to play with, how do you remove it? Having problem with my own ada-like cabinet at the moment..

And thx for the welcome :)

Sorry for late response Maxlaf.

I leave a little oversize and trim with a scalpel and a sharp block plane.

Cool thx! Imma try to sell my 55g and the stand I am currently making to start a new DIY similar to your's for an ada 60P. Or I will wait to do the same with an ADA 75P or 90P :)

It's all good fun.

I was asked to alter the drawings to fit a 45P so here they are.......

ADA45_P_1.jpg

ADA45_P_2.jpg

Note. Please recheck all the measurements before cutting :crazy:

Hi, welcome to the forum.

It's quite an important question if you're planning to build one.... :)

The drawings are for 18mm MDF.

Cheers

James

Humm, ok.
After seeing the pictures of this topic, I'm seriously thinking about building my cabinet...
If this actually comes to pass, I'll come back to bother you all :)
Thanks again.

My cabinet is nearing the end of it's build and I have to say i'm very happy with it. It's not 100% perfect, but when I consider the overall time and effort and costs put in versus the end result out, well, i'm more than pleased ;)

Good things are the doors lining up, soft close hinges, the colour (external anyway :D lol) and generally how solid it feels.

Bad things are some join lines and screw heads still showing (these looked spot on prior to painting) but more time priming/undercoating/sanding is the answer even though i thought i'd cracked it!

To finish off I just need to put a hole in the rear for power in, a cut out in one end (with a desk grommet surround) for pipes, and glue in a rod in the horizontal groove on the front. I've had some samples sent and the fit of 4.8mm acrylic/perspex rod is perfect, but I just need to decide on a colour!

Few pics now painted:

IMAG0453_1_zpsc1082cf5.jpg

IMAG0454_1_zps40a2d7d2.jpg

IMAG0455_zps7e3d0d64.jpg

IMAG0456_zps2da9a1a7.jpg

IMAG0459_1_zpsc7e32281.jpg

IMAG0460_1_zpse77cd103.jpg

Yeah, I am very appy :D

:)

Looks great rob brilliant job you have done there time and effort really shows

Back