• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Twinstar..what is it?

If it can't even handle iron than what is it doing in a planted tank.

Yeah same for salts isn't it?

But based on our 9 months tests if you just dose irons a few times a week and not heavily dosing daily than it's not an issue.
However be aware to use heavy iron fertilizers in larger ammount.

Hello.Seems something wrong with my Twinstar Nano? Today just first day I installed. At first is worked perfectly. After 10-20 mist then the mist getting lesser and lesser. It doesn't create the fine mist. I have to knocked the Reactor or pull the cable untill I push it up and down so that those big air bubbles escape then the device work like normal. I have to repeat this step few times daily.

Similar like this case. Kindly refer this video clip then you should know more.
Anyone have this problem before?

Yeah same for salts isn't it?

But based on our 9 months tests if you just dose irons a few times a week and not heavily dosing daily than it's not an issue.
However be aware to use heavy iron fertilizers in larger ammount.

Use DTPA instead of Gluconate or ETDA..........[DOUBLEPOST=1406304569][/DOUBLEPOST]
They are usually expert in their field. And if they feel good about it they easily sell it.

Most of our client are happy about it we do use many of them in our showroom and just like Dave Chow we slowly add this into most of our client installations.

I do use them in the past 8 months and this is really good. But still my ealrier comment is valid. This is for someone who knows the basics. As for beginners there will be many other issues to solve and get over on it.
For an advanced person this is really helpful.

In my country some folks did already the DIY version of it. So it is not about it anymore that it is effective or not it is much more about how we can do this at home. :)

If you are an expert, well..........then you really are not selling the product because you do not need the product.
A method, or a device, any.........can be made to do very well if you are good to begin with.

I do not think that is a logical argument in support.

Still, if you use a wet/dry filter, then ..............O2 is higher and I have similar results/can make similar claims...
and I clean the filter much less........no water line stains/lime, no device to clean or plug in or added cost.Equipment out of the tank etc

Adding more O2 can be done many ways.

If you use a canister (these are not cheaper than wet/drys comparatively) then you could argue for them and if you do not do water changes much and if you over load the fish stocking.
I am still much more in favor of a decent filter, good water changes ......................basic stuff.
My wet dry filters last for decades. Till I break them myself.

I'll pick one up sometime and test it with the O2 data logger on a reference tank, maybe the 120 or the 70, or the 180, but such small dinky devices on larger tanks, I'll have to see if I can get the largest model or run 2.

Last edited:
Tom this is right til you do heavy maintenances. But we've seen how your beauty tank looked when you were in Asia a few months before. You can't be there all the time to fix things and do your algae battles. That just happens with anyone who is not dedicating 100% effort and time with his tank. And the wet dry filter really not helped with your issue too in that case.

This is fixed in no time after that you had access to the tank but you had to be there to fix things.

It is not about sell something it is the life which changing around us meanwhile we're in this beautiful hobby. Kids, work, holiday, moving etc which loose the focus and decrease time on our beauty. Product like ts fills the gap in these situations the best.

I've been trough several of the 29 pages of this discussion in search for an answer to a very simple question.
1. what is it?
2. what's it producing?

Would anyone be so kind as to point me to the right page of this discussion at least? tnx!

A revised feedback after a long testing period.
Verdict: piece of junk in most cases unfortunately.
I had different feeling about it with some moments of excitment also but in the end it is what it is. The unit might do the job but diffusers are well to fragile. Damn the things you cannot do with your tank when twinstar is in are way too many. Dont dose iron, dont do that and that etc. And at about 50-60£ for a replacement diffuser? Come on. It will only help a little and only with green algae in my opinion. Nothing that a better balance would not do.
Way too expensive also. Only people who can understand and perhaps appreciate it would be experienced scapers.
Sadly I say no at this point but keep a right to change my opinion later :) As I said I did think its good at some moments. I have only tested it on larger tanks. Perhaps it does better on the 60cm.

A revised feedback after a long testing period.
Verdict: piece of junk in most cases unfortunately.
I had different feeling about it with some moments of excitment also but in the end it is what it is. The unit might do the job but diffusers are well to fragile. Damn the things you cannot do with your tank when twinstar is in are way too many. Dont dose iron, dont do that and that etc. And at about 50-60£ for a replacement diffuser? Come on. It will only help a little and only with green algae in my opinion. Nothing that a better balance would not do.
Way too expensive also. Only people who can understand and perhaps appreciate it would be experienced scapers.
Sadly I say no at this point but keep a right to change my opinion later :) As I said I did think its good at some moments. I have only tested it on larger tanks. Perhaps it does better on the 60cm.

At last...a real review!

What an utterly dross website! I sense a whiff of snake oil.
Whatever it is, I'm 100% sure I don't need one :lol:

It was all figured out on page one but when you've just spent £100 on an algae eradicating device, of course your going to say it works. Even if it does help a bit its still not worthy of the price tag

I disagree, I've had three TWS nanos going in my 760L for over six months now and are pleased with the results and the investment ! It's made that extra difference and certainly made life and maintenance easier. I'm not hassled with having to ever clean GDA or GSA off the front glass, perhaps once every two months, the hardscape and lighter coloured cosmetic sand are also algae free, more importantly the plants imo are also happier, healthier and have that extra sparkle. Great little product in my book, but not some miracle cure for the floundering newbie or folks or retail shops that want to get lazy with their tank maintenance..

My tank has been running for 9/10months and i haven't cleaned the glass once
Growth rates aren't excessive and red plants are still red, so i definitely dont need it. In my eyes its more clutter in the tank and it looks like a mini urinal
Whats the point of spending loads of fancy glassware then ruining the look with a nasty bit of plastic

I agree that's also my complaint, it's big clutter in the tank especially three of them, if it was black with black leads and black suction cups this would surely be less conspicuous...

Other complaints are the cost and not bringing out a bigger version for bigger tanks.

My tank has been running for 9/10months and i haven't cleaned the glass once

In a high tech tank with stronger light, I can assure you even the very best scapers need to clean their glass from time to time, ask Takashi. I find when taking pics you become hyper critical to the slightest hint of green, but sure many folk don't worry until they eventually realise they can't see the fish.:)

Last edited:
I just bought a twinstar nano on impulse. I need it for extra peace of mind when I go on holiday (that's how I'm justifying it to myself anyway).

Back