• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp Catcher

Hi all,

My current scape is an iwagumi made up of carpet plants and rocks. As I'm going to be rescaping soon I decided to have a go at catching cherry shrimp with a net in preparation for a mass tank emptying. The rocks and plants made it very difficult to catch any, let alone the several hundred I have in there.

Does anyone have any ingenious methods of mass shrimp catching? I was thinking perhaps making a lobster pot with a jar?

I can't rescape until I find a sure fire way of catching all of them, including very young shrimp

I remove everything from the tank and use a dragline effect with my large nets otherwise I manuall catch one by one...

Adding food to the tank 10 minutes prior will net you more shrimp initially.

I'd suggest clearing out the tank, then using a plastic chopping board or something to split the tank into 2 parts, which you can the move as the number of shrimp decreases. This is how I've caught fish and shrimp from my tank before, and it works well as long as you move the board slowly so nothing swims through any gaps!

I rescaped today..what an absolute nightmare. I knew I was in for a challenge catching them all but I had no idea just how hard it would be.

I tried all of the above methods and still had hundreds left in the tank come drain down. Casualties were inevitable, I was trying to catch babies at their most tiny stage in an inch of silty water. I know I've lost quite a few shrimp today but I don't know what more I could have done.

I have hundreds of shrimp and there are always hatching babies at any one time so I couldn't win even if was to delay the rescape. I've been fishing and trapping shrimp all week!

Need to start selling them. I have too many!

Back