• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

400 gallon.

What about some red plants on the left background, behind the wood?
Love this tank Ed, looks like you want to dive in :)

Jordi

some red plants on the left background
I've tried alternanthera's a few times, i never seem to get them realy thriving. I've put a Hydrocotyle leucocephala there, it should grow nice big and bushy and replace the Hygrophyla.

39891049.jpg
What's the name of the floater/emersed plant with the red edges or underside of the leaves?

Thanks!

like the openness and scale it gives. Beautiful and natural looking.
Thx, i still want to limit me to about 4 or 5 species of plants and get those big and lushy, but need to find the right ones.

Started lowering the light again today, growth is slow, but little algae. I do let the tank get a bit "dirty" (let the detritus collect a bit) so if there is some new life it has a small chance to get some food/cover.
15436465612_9ed6156d9a_h.jpgDSC_1615_copy by Edvet, on Flickr

Ooh and floaters going wel.....;)

quick and dirty update:
15330373560_fdb7e7e8af_k.jpgDSC_5782_copy by Edvet, on Flickr

and.......one i was looking for for a longer time, here still in it's infancy:
15513958951_d1ec84c1e6_h.jpgDSC_5788_copy by Edvet, on Flickr
Nymphaea glandulifera

Powerheads are 2 Koralia's bur they are not running since i went low tech (shut down CO2, raised the lights to the ceiling and added floaters)
The tank was originally build for discus fish so there is a big sump under it.There is only some Siporax and some filterfoam in it nowadays.

Hi all,
Looks great.

I see in your extremely healthy "floaters" picture you have an Eichornia, will you be able to keep it through the winter? I've never had any survive the winter, as ambient light levels fall they always dwindle away, but my tanks are a lot lower nutrient than yours which might make a difference.

cheers Darrel

Where it is now it doesn't get any daylight, just the tanklighting (2x t5 80 W and 2x HQI 125 W and one 125 mercuryvapour lamp), app 90 cm above the water. I has been like that the past 2 months and it's increasing. I'll take an overview pic tonight.

If i run it full power app 3000 lit/hour. Due to having smaller fish and floaters i installed a overflow "barrier/comb". Ir oder no to have it going over the top of that i throttled it down, i guess to app 1000/1200 lit/hour. And i have a separate Eheim pump (grey tube on the right side) wich pumps the water into a filtersock, to remove some floating parts, but that basically stays "in the tank", it doesn't go through the sump. And i use a Eheim cannister filter to keep the area in front of the overflow clear through a spraytube just under the overflow. I want to keep the left third and right third of the surface free of floaters to have light on the plants there.

I don't see a reason why one wouldn't experiment with their tank, whether it be increasing co2 one way or another, tweaking the light amount, adding ferts, etc.. but when one says slow growth in low tech, how slow do you guys mean?
I can achieve a jungle look in a low tech in a proper setup in about 2-3 months and for me that's as fast as I want it.

I could do likewise in a small tank.
Try getting the jungle look in larger tank takes a fair bit of time IME
For my 300 litre it took nearly a year from scratch.
No clippings or plant's from another tank, merely sprigs of plants ordered online from aquatic plant sites.
I would imagine for 400 gal ,it would take considerably more than two or three months.

Back