• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting, Novice

Chaz

Seedling
Hello all, I'm extremely new to aquascaping, and i am currently only learning the basics!

I've currently set up a Fluval nano tank with basic beginner plants with success, but the size of the tank is really limiting my imagination. so i'm thinking about buying a bigger tank.

The dimensions of the tank i'm looking at are: 80x35x35cm. 96 litres.

After endlessly scrolling through pages on the web i'm none the wiser of what lighting would be perfect for growing plants in an aquarium this size.
I want a medium to high light tank so I can grow any plants i'd like to with no worries (in the light department) I understand that more light would mean more demands from the plants, CO2, fertilizers, etc. this is no problem as i plan on getting pressurized CO2, and i'm already using flourish excel and comprehensive on my nano, with Tropica substrate.

I'm just lost with what lighting i should get and how to calculate lighting with height of the tank etc, its all very confusing to me. I understand that WPG is outdated.

Could anyone shine a little light on this for me? And also, any links to lights that would be suitable for the tank measurements above would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Chaz.

If you've got the money, go for LED's. I'd recommend TMC LED's, I think for a tank that size you could probably get away with 1 GroBeam 600. But make sure you get a controller unit so you can adjust the intensity as these are really bright lights.

Hi Chaz,

Being able to control the intensity (brightness, if you like) is highly desirable, if not essential. Personally, I think there are better choices than the TMC range which, in my opinion, are overpriced. I bought my LED fixture from a company called BML in the US. You may want to take a look at their website:

http://www.buildmyled.com/freshwater-products/

They can supply a simple, very low-cost, manual dimmer to control their light fixtures. They also have an automatic dimmer called the SoLunar. I would advise against purchasing the latter at present as it has a few problems. When buying lighting for planted tanks, be aware that the PAR output is more important than lux output. PAR is to plants what lux is to humans.

JPC

How would you setup a Grobeam 600? e.g distance from substrate and intensity?

If you've got the money, go for LED's. I'd recommend TMC LED's, I think for a tank that size you could probably get away with 1 GroBeam 600. But make sure you get a controller unit so you can adjust the intensity as these are really bright lights.

I'm using two TMC grobeam 600's on my fluval 125L.
Their installed in the hood and because I have good flow, high nutrients and double dose the liquid carbon I haven't had any algae issues with the light levels - yet. If you can get the TMC's from here second hand, I'm sure you'll like the look of them.

Steve

I'm using two TMC grobeam 600's on my fluval 125L.
Their installed in the hood and because I have good flow, high nutrients and double dose the liquid carbon I haven't had any algae issues with the light levels - yet. If you can get the TMC's from here second hand, I'm sure you'll like the look of them.

Steve
I have one grobeam 600 set at 30% 55cm above substrate over a 40L tank.do you think thats too little light?

You could probably get away with lowering it a little and then keep an eye on your plants health. As the plant mass increases then maybe increase the lighting intensity a bit.

How would you setup a Grobeam 600? e.g distance from substrate and intensity?

Well, I have 2 TMC Mini 400's which use the same LED's as yours, they have 4 LED's per tile where as yours has 6 I think. I have a 50L tank, brightness set at 20% and lights are quite high above the substrate, at least 60cm.

Well, I have 2 TMC Mini 400's which use the same LED's as yours, they have 4 LED's per tile where as yours has 6 I think. I have a 50L tank, brightness set at 20% and lights are quite high above the substrate, at least 60cm.
Is your tank low maintenance?

Back