• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Living Bridge - Video added

Hamza

Hi folks,

Wanted to share my labor of love.
This is the scape I have been working on for a couple of years now(mostly RnD) and finally did it and achieved pretty much what I aimed for, feeling quite accomplished with it. Even though the rank card hasn't reached me yet(delay caused by general holidays+weekend and all), but I couldnt wait to showcase it here, especially after getting a good response on facebook.

So heres a B&W teaser, hopefully with the official announcement of results I'll be putting up the colored version of it similar to what I submitted for IAPLC...

10549721_10204684374809360_3847181655698676268_o.jpg

A little description of the project:

My scape pays tribute to what I consider to be the best example of Living, Sustainable Architecture there is - The Living Root Bridges of Meghalaya, India.

In reality, these are basically roots of strangler fig trees trained to go over the river where it roots the other side and as the tree grows the structure starts getting apparent, thereby providing lifeline to the people who built it, connecting them to the outer world.

Its a self strengthening structure that grows strong by age.
Though man-made, this unique pact with nature proves fruitful both for man and nature. These bridges survive the harshest of conditions the flooding rivers, rainstorms could offer.

The particular bridge I replicated in my tank is most recognizable and one of the oldest in existence today (probably a couple of centuries old).

I, being a student of architecture, felt the dire need for promoting these bridges, so that we are reminded again and again of greener and better ways of living on earth without destroying nature.

Though a small tank, it took me nearly 2 years to collect the right material, process it and then build the bridge, on and off whenever I had time to work on it.

Yes, the bridge is a structure made by joining small bits of various roots including, Palm roots, Malaysian rootwood and other hardwoods (all natural materials).

AND in the meantime till I recieve the rank card, do please try to give a wild guess of where I'd end up with this tank this year(with the ranking)...

And please feel free to share your views on it... :)

Even in grayscale I can see that this is an incredible tank. Good luck.

What a fantastic story behind your reasons for doing this. Perfectly executed as well Hamza.

Amazing looking tank. The sense of depth you've created on the left is terrific. Using HC in the foreground to simulate brush or possibly a field, with the trees over the back of rolling hills.
Ranaculus Inundatus simulates dense forrest canopy very well. Must have took a while to gain such density with it?

Great effort, although I wouldn't have a clue on rankings.

That's awesome! I didn't even get as far as the description and the first thing I thought of was the Meghalaya root bridges, and you've pulled it of nicely! I'm totally with Nathaniel about the left side, and that foreboding jungle on the right in comparison offsets it nicely.

:)

Awesome scape hamza, deserves to do very well, especially with iaplc's love of diorama at the moment.
Look forward to seeing it in it's full glory.

Only slight thing is the left wood that reaches across that side does draw my eye somewhat, either way though an brilliantly executed scape.

I am chuffed that this scape even though a little odd was received well by everyone :)

@Nathaniel Whiteside..I am glad that you took time to read the description and go through every detail of it. Thank you very much for your kind words!
Its ceratopteris sp. BTW not ranunculus inundatus.

EdwinK, Sacha, Sreeram, Trevor, Allan, Parotet, Liam...Thank you guys! I really value your appreciation :)

@Alexander Belchenko ...Its a 100liter tank, about 70x40x40 in dimensions.
I hope your words come true :)

@Iain Sutherland ... unfortunately this year, all of a sudden after entries had been submitted, the steering committee of IAPLC decided to put down diorama style as a classic style revival movement. Thats why am a lil concerned about ranking.[DOUBLEPOST=1408551368][/DOUBLEPOST]This is how the hardscape was composed

hardscape-sequence.jpg

@Iain Sutherland You mean wood wrapped round rock?

Thats one was a pretty messy job, I wish I had documented it. I used quick drying epoxy resin along with a bit of fine saw dust to conceal the joint.

It required me to mix the solution, apply the solution, press the wood and do the dusting all at the same time, joint by joint, thats the reason I couldn't take a picture while doing it. Yes it was very time consuming and at times I felt like quitting it and left it for days and weeks(sometimes) and then returned back with a fresh mood.

Infact the whole bridge was made like this, wood-wood and wood-stone joints.

BTW, this technique was showed to me by Sreeram

i remember seeing this bridge on youtube before , great work , nice build pics , was wondering where this piece of wood exist from :eek:

Thanks for the photos of the construction, certainly gives me something to think about for my next scape. It looks awesome mate, well done!

Back