• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Gourami Gloaming #4

It looked brighter as I'd done a W C but hadn't added any blackwater concentrate and my phone lightens things a bit too but the fish don't seem to care what colour the water is.[DOUBLEPOST=1402583842][/DOUBLEPOST]

Last edited:
Something in my tank seems to be buffering the ph up to 5.5 :mad:. Several times I have managed to get the ph down, as low as 4.6, but within a day or two it is back to 5.5. I've also been adding concentrate made from boiling catappa leaves and alder cones. When I put it in the water has a lovely tea colour but within a couple of days the water is much clearer. This is very frustrating to say the least! There is no carbon in the filter.

I would look to the substrate Lindy. Is the TMC nutrasoil buffering up to the 6.5 mark. I know people generally use it to drop the pH to that level, but maybe it also increases pH to that as well?

Rod

Hi all,
Is the TMC nutrasoil buffering up to the 6.5 mark. I know people generally use it to drop the pH to that level, but maybe it also increases pH to that as well?
It certainly could, "cation exchange" is exactly that exchange, and an alkaline metal ion like potassium (K+), would less tightly bound to the clay and potentially be exchanged for a proton (H+), if there was a high concentration of H+ ions in the tank water.
Something in my tank seems to be buffering the ph up to 5.5
I'd be happy with pH5.5, I think even most black-water fish will spawn at pH5.5.
've also been adding concentrate made from boiling catappa leaves and alder cones.
Have you tried just adding the leaves and cones to the tanks? Have a look a these 2 threads on Apistogramma forums <http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/threads/thank-you-ted-judy.17292/> & <http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/threads/keeping-low-ph.12720/>.

cheers Darrel

Thank you everyone for your replies

It certainly could,
I do remember you warning me of this re using peat balls. I could kick myself!

Have you tried just adding the leaves and cones to the tanks?
There is a huge amount of leaf litter at the back of the tank and loads of cones. I found they altered little.

I think even most black-water fish will spawn at pH5.5.
I was just worried about egg survival.

I would look to the substrate Lindy.
I think this is probably the case as Darrel had warned me it might cancel out the effects of peat but I hadn't imagined it would buffer up the way :banghead:

I had also been adding small quantities of Phosphoric Acid. If I keep adding it will the tmc nutrasoil eventually exhaust its self and stop buffering?

Are you using Ro/Di or tap water?
I've used tap in the past but recently been using rain water.

Nothing much has changed other than the addition of more heather. Crypts are looking healthy at last.
There seem to be no chocolate gourami available anywhere due to the rainy season so looks like I won't be able to get any until end of the summer

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

ymytudyg.jpg

Bummer about the chocos but at least you will have a nice mature (and bloody great looking) tank for them when you finally get some

Was cleaning out the canister filter last night. Removed all the baskets then tipped the water down the toilet. When I glanced into the canister i felt terrible. There was a shrimp and if there was one there was probably more that I'd tipped down the toilet. There haven't been shrimp in the tank since i replaced the substrate and with a ph of as low as 4.7 and a tds of 60 I wasn't expecting anything in the filter!
a5a7a8ep.jpg

So it is now in the tank rather than the filter and seems pretty happy.

Last edited:
Found some bba on some java fern leaves at the top of the central stump so cut them out and have reduced intensity of the light a bit. That area gets no protection by floating plants due to high flow. Hoping that sorts it.

The lily leaves tend to end up around the front and sides along with the floaters. Also the stump almost reaches the surface and with java fern covering it there isn't really any room for anything on top.

I have just spent 2hrs removing all the frogbit. I now hate that tiny little plant! Some hitchhiked in on some plants presumably and I thought ahhh what harm can it do. It sticks to everything when you do maintenance, it goes under the surface when you scoop out the other floaters so you just end up with frogbit. Did I mention the sticking? Ffs!
I'm expecting to see some tomorrow, mocking me with its tiny single root....
00f2d78f95507e3b71b684a00e5ceb66.jpg

Frogbit, never takes well to my tanks for some reason, lost count how many batches I have purchased, given up now :lol:

a6c57e2212f2bafd25871e834081b1d2.jpg

Annoying stuff...[DOUBLEPOST=1408036697][/DOUBLEPOST]oh, have also added Aponogeton Capuronii. It has lovely crimped leaves.

Last edited:
Back