• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Quest for the perfect corner creation - Resurrection

LocustDemon

Right! The hi-tech adventure begins!
Firstly I'm Matt from Sheffield and I've had a tank for a year now, tried different fish and plants, breeding and I've wanted to set up a hi-tech tank from the start.

It's a black juwel 190 corner tank currently running two fluval 405's, one spray bar and one duck beak outflow.
Depending on what people think I may just use one 405 but I'm not sure yet.
It has two t5's both with clip on 190degree reflectors, one natural light bulb and one daylight.
u8yqanup.jpg

Got a nice piece of bogwood root that will be the main piece, has sort of a bowl in the root with a overhang over it, then it's pretty hollow underneath. You can't really get perspective from the photos but I'll post them anyway.
jujy9y7u.jpg

ty5a8ahu.jpg

She wasnt happy when she wanted a shower!!
Wood will go from back right glass to front left corner-ish.

So I've ordered
3L of JBL volcanic mineral.
5L of Tropica substrate.
20kg of JBL sansibar white.
3 stage 100gpd aquarium, RO water system.
CO2 Regulator with two Gauge and Solenoid Magnetic Valve.
Curved Tweezers.
5x Suction Cup for the Co2 tube.
U-Shape Glass CO2 Tubing Connector.
2m of Clear CO2 Resistant Aquarium Polyurethane Tubing.
High Quality Precision Metal CO2 Bubble Counter with Build-in check valve and Magnify Holder.
CO2 Drop Checker.
2x Precision CO2 Atomizer 70mm Bazooka Diffuser.

Going to order some more glassware for the inlet/outlet.
Just need to source a FE now but might pop up to my local station to see what they say..

I'm basically wanting mainly shrimp in the tank with Otocinclus and possibly nerite snails.
Shall be on RO water.
And my tap waters pH after 24 hours settles at 6.5.
I have absolutely no idea what plants I should get but I'd like a good carpet and the get some nice coverage on the wood. Whilst having some nice high plants along the back that grow out a little if anybody can offer some advice please?
Also going to be dosing ferts (ei)

Is two filters overkill, one is full of media and the other just has sponges with polishing pads and was used as sort of a wave maker to increase flow.

Thanks for having a read and this will be happening over the next few weeks, depending on how long it takes for the stuff to arrive. Shall post photos of the goodies!
Cheers!
Matt.

Last edited:
Hi matt,
Welcome to ukaps. Lovely bit of wood.

If I were you I'd run both the filters as that piece of wood will interfere with your flow rate.
It would look nice with one of the microsorum species and moss on the wood. I'd also leave off the reflectors just fir now until it grows in some more.

If you look through the journals section there are a few different scapes in Juwel trigons from Gary nelson and Ian holdich that are really really good.

Good luck starting it and look forward to seeing how it goes

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk 2

Hey up Alastair, thanks.

Sorry the photo of the tank is the current setup, I'll be completely shutting it down to put in the new substrate, take out the mopani root and put the new piece in. Would quite like a long thin piece of wood covered in Moss to go from low to high, perhaps get some shrimp that want to go on a adventure. I saw the trigon builds that Gary did I think, amazing.
Thanks,
Matt.

Last edited:
Hi Matt,

Welcome to the Forums, you will find everything you could ever need on here somewhere.

That is a nice bit of wood and I am looking forward to seeing how your take is going to be on scaping a corner tank. I have pasted a few links to some experiences I have had with my old Trigon 190, which I sold about two years ago. Now working on 'The Full Monty'

http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/a-shady-glen-the-recovery-photographs.11352/

http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/...nk-at-various-stages-including-re-scape.1548/

It is going to be interesting seeing a high tech Trigon 190, especially hearing how the 2x Precision CO2 Atomizer 70mm Bazooka Diffuser systems work.

Good luck,

Steve.

I like how wood looks in water, especially all the different curves and things that are a bit different.
Just had a blinding idea... I think I'll prop the wood up on the right hand side at the back so it sits higher and on the two bits that come out at the front then keep it there with some stone in the left so it doesn't move. Also seen there is some holes inside the bowl. Big enough to possibly find a bit of wood with a few branches on it or tied on that could be a small wavy tree sprouting out towards the left of the tank and as there wouldn't be plants or Moss on that bit of wood under I wouldn't have light issues.
The piece I'm holding in the photo is the overhang on the bowl, some Moss might do well on top of there.
7u2enumu.jpg

All my stuff is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow (13th)
The inky think I now need is the FE. Went up to my local station and they said they don't deal with anything like that only head office. Anybody got any ideas on getting one in the Sheffield area?

Shall update later! Might even go wild on paint so you can see what I'm thinking! Haha.

The dual Bazooka buy was so I could have one soaking for cleaning and one in the tank.

All the trigon builds look amazing, love the way you stepped up the level with the dam of stone.

Cheers,
Matt.

The first installment is here!
32850c075ae1bc8d45f565a555ae7f41.jpg

cd2b0b54380053ca79652f97f4cbbacb.jpg

Very surprised! It's come with a lot of piping that I didn't expect and a connector for the hose pipe! Happy happy!
7218316506811742ec1c28a45a098b6d.jpg

The stuff from Co2 art, extremely well packaged!

Just waiting on my substrate now, still need to source Co2 and I was going with a FE, but I've found a place that delivers 6kg bottles near me, you loan for 33£ and refill for 13 so I really can't grumble at that!
Edit - just got off the phone, £36.79 deposit on the cylinder and £14.40 for the refill. Which to me is far cheaper than a FE as the deposit is refunded.
Place is based in Sheffield on Shepcote Lane near meadowhell. Called gasandhireltd.

Suppose I should start thinking about plants now hey?
Also completely unrelated but found out we're having a little boy! That will love fish obviously! :)

Matt.

Last edited:
Substrate has arrived all safe and well packaged! Even got a bag of sweets!!
Just need to go any pick up the cannister for co2 and then sort out some plants...
Matt.

Thanks for the replys guys!
Substrate has turned up as well :)
Had a read Ian, sorry I forgot to mention I've also ordered a 300lp/h pump for inside the tank to make sure I don't have flow issues. Should be here this week!
42095c039a522f6c608c07ea084a26f4.jpg

Also going to look into a perspex spray bar so it looks nicer than the one I have on at the moment. It's cut in two sections, the first section sprays down at a 45 degree angle and the end section has smaller holes that spray straight for water agitation and a bit more flow. The pump will go towards the lower/mid levels to make sure that are is served.
Off to work now anyhow,
Cheers.
Matt.

If you are about to have your 1st baby you might want to make this low tech!

Hahaha :)
It's due on new years Eve, so I've got some time yet! If all else fails I could shut it down but we shall see!

I have no words!
Well I can try and see what happens. Be kicking myself if I just dropped it for the baby because I'd never know if it would have worked!
And there's no rainbow without the rain!

ive just used some of that white Sansibar river sand.....very nice, but very white :D
Good luck with the set up Matt :thumbup:

I'm on nights this week 6pm - 6am and I got up at 8:30 so I didn't miss any parcels! Ha.
Went to get the cylinder before work tonight, ended up with a 6.35kg one for £14 and they will come replace it when it's empty the same day. Absolute bargain!
As you can tell I'm worked up tonight!
0380dbd32af88e7bed8cb7a56bbf15d2.jpg

Time to start looking at plants, I'm looking at glosso or hc. Love the Pearl grass effect..
Also found an aquadip dealer in Rotherham so it's not a million miles away as this is where I'll be going for plants.
Matt.

7ee645438c2d29f4dbb39c729050c4c3.jpg

6.35kg all for the delightful price of £14per refill! It's either going on a shelf behind the tank or in the cellar top with a chain around it and then just drilling through the wall. Both places have pros and cons.
Matt.

Back