• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Alternate method of planting moss

TimT

I seem to have purchased too much moss and therefore have the possibility to fasten it in much larger quantities and natural looking way than is usually done. The proven technique seems to be to attach the moss pretty close to the surface in thin layers and then new moss will grow out from that flat compressed carpet of moss either tied or glued down to the surface. I'm contemplating to only tie the ends of the moss to the wood/stone in rows so it from the start will have free flowing strands of moss growing straight out from the wood/stone.

My question is: Will this work or is it part of the moss' life cycle that it needs to adjust to submersed growth where it grows healthy submersed viable moss out from the old moss trapped near the wood/stone? (it's Tropica moss - I'm assuming it is propagated emersed)

Thanks!

Tying, gluing, whatever works, sure! :) The question was more if it is required to glue/tie it in the usual tight flat way or if it is okay to only glue/tie the one end of strands to the base to create the long flowing moss strands usually first seen once it has grown out from the base. Or will it the long free flowing strands die away because they are not adapted to submersed growing.

just the thought of tying/gluing individual strands of moss sends a shiver down my spine :what:

The moss will grow from it's planted position according to the flow & light available. So trying to place it correctly in a certain orientation will probably be wasted time.

Lay it on thick and pay extra attention to pruning to ensure bushyness

Your moss will adapt nicely to new life, immersed - and you are right; at receiving the moss will be grown emersed!
I too, honesly find it will most likely not pay off, tying/gluing individually "stems" ......... since the moss (as allready mentioned) will grow and fill out,according to surroundings.
- but since you have plenty of matetial, I'd recommend, too, to lay out a thicker layer, from start. This way getting more dense growth and faster achieving the lush appearance. Trimming is self-evident ![DOUBLEPOST=1407411915][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh - and tying the moss down, will actually initiate much more new growth, as the "stems" will produce more side- shoots........

Thanks Mick! Excatly the info I was looking for. I wasn't planning to fasten individual stems but more small tufts at a time. By making sure they were overlapping so each tuft covers the base of the previous tuft's fastening point it could potentially look pretty decent from the start.

I've done the "tuft"-method....... and it'll work nicely. I assume the moss we're talking about is java, weeping, christmas, spiky or something of the same growth-habit.
Some of the asian producers use this way, to make "instant" moss sticks on bamboo or terracotta, actually. Spiky is particulary good at this. (appearance of these products is a matter of taste, though *lol*).[DOUBLEPOST=1407751526][/DOUBLEPOST]- and by the way; given good conditions, mosses are really not that slow-growing, we're often told to be a fact !!

Back