• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Deans 60p

I am not sure you'll need RO. For a regular tank with regular plants any tapwater will do (with the rare exception of the water company adding stuff to the water without warning).
Not so rare over here most of the time my tap has a tds of 70 about once per month it stinks of chlorine and has a tds of 150 and i've never been warned by the water board ever

am not sure you'll need RO. For a regular tank with regular plants any tapwater will do (with the rare exception of the water company adding stuff to the water without warning
Maybe not but considering that Dean has tried everything else it might just help.....
Dean, it is just a smallish unit that connects to your main water supply & a drain.
Pure water comes out of a small bore hose & contaminated water comes out of another small bore hose. You collect the pure water to use in your tank.
They are quite slow to produce the pure water & very wasteful unless you collect the waste water for some other use.. but lots of guys use them with great success.
I still believe you just are not injecting enough gas but an RO might reduce the need to inject so much?

What measurement etc can I use to test my water ? Most people dont have to so should be able to get going without RO to be honest just missing something lol but what I agree all the signs point to a co2 defeciency but the bps were literally uncountable and even when drop checker yellow and had decent drop on ph after 2 weeka started to deteriorate wonder if started blocking the inline attomiser after that ?

What measurement etc can I use to test my water ? Most people dont have to so should be able to get going without RO to be honest just missing something lol but what I agree all the signs point to a co2 defeciency but the bps were literally uncountable and even when drop checker yellow and had decent drop on ph after 2 weeka started to deteriorate wonder if started blocking the inline attomiser after that ?

Hey mate,
I've also found, and it's said on here a lot, but that if your co2 isn't lime green before lights switch on, that growth is really impaired. Make sure your flows excellent too.

I'm sure you'll know this, but the co2 availability at lights on is THE most important thing of all.

Also, if tank gets a lot of ambient light, this causes some problems algae-wise. Install blinds or shade tank from direct sunlight, at least until better established.

Hey mate,
I've also found, and it's said on here a lot, but that if your co2 isn't lime green before lights switch on, that growth is really impaired. Make sure your flows excellent too.

I'm sure you'll know this, but the co2 availability at lights on is THE most important thing of all.

Also, if tank gets a lot of ambient light, this causes some problems algae-wise. Install blinds or shade tank from direct sunlight, at least until better established.

Purely as an addition to this heres my
Ph profile and drop checker colour

1200 ph 7.3 blue
1300 Co2 on ph 7.3 blue
1800 Lights on ph 5.9 blue/green
1900 ph 5.9 green
2000 ph 5.9 lime green
2100 co2 off ph 5.9 lime green
2200 ph 6.2 lime green
2300 ph 6.4 lime green
2330 lights off ph 6.5 green
0000 ph 6.7 green
0030 ph 6.8 green
0600 ph 7.4 blue

Note the delay in drop checker colour mine is 3 hours behind, green at lights on might be too much, for fauna. Ignore the bps and trust your ph pen over your drop checker. If you still think your bps is too high reduce surface agitation. Change one thing at once eg bps, surface movement, flow pattern etc. and check profile, this will give you a better understanding of how individual things affect co2levels in your tank

Its a fairly small tank, buying ro from your lfs could be a viable option to see if it makes a difference and if it helps look into buying a small unit

I know I'm just adding to it all here but I've had great success with 24 hour co2 at a low level, like 1 bps. Just adjusted the surface movement during lights out. I didn't have the means to turn co2 on and off at the time but I got the best carpet I have ever managed like that

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Very interesting what james said think I will try that , thanks for that, also at forst I was getting a decent ph drop in the tank just need decent flow and co2 set up right, going to buy another 13mm inline attomiser so can clean one while other in use also were do you place you inline close to the tank as possible ? With the g6 and lily pipe need to get a decent flow going unless I get another spraybar

Just the lights aswell that I have bother with I purchased 2 aquabars but only used 1 last time at 50 percent or so or less I always wondered what happens if to little light ? Just no growth or do plants have deficencys ?

Also going to keep surface movemnt minimal to keep co2 in tank so angle lilly pipe down slightly but will still have eheim skim to clean surface

Thanks again ali something to think about as another option

Eventually for light rigged up thought would show you my DIY setup

ejuse5es.jpg

zeryvary.jpg

Cut two cables to size and the have then hanging from a bar just below ceiling using the racking system I had on wall looks better than before anyway, 2 aquabars 50cm in there used flat bar and made a bracket inside to connect to

ugynyran.jpg

e2uqeje7.jpg

getutady.jpg

Just thought would show how I did it, also any thoughts on my previous post
Thanks dean

Thanks Dean

Looks great Deano!

I know some people will enjoy all the adjusting, measuring etc trying to get their tanks right, but in the end I decided it was getting i the way of my enjoyment of the hobby (along with all the additional maintenence), I doubt I'll go back to high tech now (you never know though, I'm not ready to flog all my CO2 stuff yet!).

I agree with you James. I got £££ worth of co2 stuff sat in cabinets... Can't bring myself to get rid. As soon as I do I will regret it!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I know don't like floor was like that when moved in but not spending fortune getting redone yet lol, are you low tech nor James and Ali ?

And won't adjust height but have some controllers for more or less light mate

Thanks Dean

Dean, nothing useful to add except to say 10/10 for your enthusiasm mate :D I like (a lot) how you're determined to make it work and keep working hard even in the face of previous failures :) Good on you bud!

I remember the days of every other day 50% water changes for weeks and weeks for my first few months fighting algae and all the other issues that go with hi tech tanks and thinking i'd never win the battle. My missus often said 'i thought you were supposed to enjoy fish tanks, and you never look like you're enjoying yourself'. She was bang on but I eventually made progress.

When it clicks into place and starts going right you'll look back and laugh mate ;)

Keep it up :)

Ps - my co2 stuff will all be gone very soon LOL :D

Yeah, my tank is low tech now Dean. I haven't got any recent pictures but in my opinion it looks ok and is much, much less work. It depends what you're after though really, I doubt I'd try a carpet low tech but nature style can look great!

Montecarlo carpets great low tech, it just takes a while. Same with lilaeopsis Mauritania.

Back