• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter for 180L

Crossocheilus

So I'm getting a new 180L tank soon which will be set up high tech so I've been thinking about 10x turnover. I would really prefer to have one filter, and it has to be quiet because it is for my bedroom. So would 1 jbl e1501 green line be enough? And would it be quiet enough, anything quieter than my aquamanta 1000u is okay.[DOUBLEPOST=1406474105][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh and eheim is out of my price range, £390 for the 1200xl from Swell UK :( and it has two inlets.

You can look at something like the APS filters which will give you more turnover for your money than big brands, or you could have a slightly smaller filter and then have a tiny powerhead in the tank as the media capacity of a smaller filter will still be sufficient high tech. Some of the circulation pumps are really tiny, likes of the newave 1.6 which has adjustable flow rate between 800-1600lph.

Yeah I had considered powerheads and that may well end up being the cheapest and easiest option, but I want as little stuff in the tank as possible. How quiet do you and others find powerheads?

I would also consider the Ehiem 2217, I don't know the other brands you speak of as they are not available locally for me, the Eheim is quiet, economical and has a great reputation.

Oh shucks... I see you mention it's out of your budget, but long term you will save on the power and it has a long lifespan..so money well spent :)

I use a JBL1500e on my 180l tank. Has about 1400l/hr flow (about 1/2 that with media in) and only takes 20Watts so -> 0.15p x 20W/1000W * 24 * 365 -> £26/year to run.

When I was running my 180l freshwater high tech planted, I had a 1200lph unbranded filter that I got off of ebay for about £45 and a newave 2.7 that came on with co2. The powerhead is very quiet, the filter was always louder.
I am now running marine with 3 of these power heads in the tank and it is almost silent. Just a slight hum.

So I'm beginning to consider an eheim but can't justify spending £400 plus on it so I am considering second hand, so would you guys recommend that I replace all o rings and the impeller and if so what would that cost approx? So ideally I want one filter no powerheads so would an eheim 1200xl / xlt (1700lph) be enough flow for high tech?

I might be wrong but i thought the 10x turnover took that into account, it is 10x the tank volume of stated flow. Anyway it seems that really i am gonna need either two filters, which means more glassware at some point, or one filter and a powerhead, which is the easiest/cheapest option but aesthetically not great.[DOUBLEPOST=1406821884][/DOUBLEPOST]One problem i have with the idea of multiple filters is that if I had one filter with external heater and one with co2 atomiser, outlet with co2 at the front going left to right and the one with heater at back going right to left co2 distribution would be uneven. I'm pretty sure that makes no sense :rolleyes:, so what would you guys say is the best arrangement for two filters on a 90cm tank, one filter with co2 atomiser on. Why is it so hard to make my thoughts into words :banghead:

Last edited:
Hmm I suppose that could work but not as good aesthetically as one spray bar but still good, how would I make them? Are you thinking diy acrylic spray bar attached to normal filter outlet or more like an acrylic lily pipe with a spray bar on the end? How would I bend the acrylic pipe to fit over the edge of the tank?

I just used 90* bends and filter hose to connect mine up. You could buy the glass inlet bends for the spraybars from one of the sponsors apfuk, i think but it would be pretty costly to do the full glass spraybar but just the bends would be cheap enough.
I think member tim has had success bending acrylic tube, with a hot air gun, some silicone rubber to stop the tube flattening and kinking but i'm not sure the bends would be tight enough and can be tricky to get right.

Ok just looked at apfuk and the glass spray bar inlets are perfect, and at £20 each I think it's ok. Big clown, where did you buy the acrylic pipe from?

Ok thanks for clarifying that[DOUBLEPOST=1406834173][/DOUBLEPOST]So what size + number of holes for 16/22 pipe would you recommend?

Back