• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 Reactor - New CO2Art Project

CO2Art.co.uk

Sponsor
Hello All,

In past few months we received many questions about CO2 Reactor for larger hoses (Ø17 and Ø24). Unfortunately we were not able to source anything which is good quality and for acceptable price. This is why we will take this as challenge for us and we decided to design and build such product.

Before we start designing we would like to hear from you, what features such reactor should have (apart from 100% dissolution rate).

So far we have on our list :
- build-in heater
- pump to increase flow
- adapters for all hose sizes (Inlet starting with size Ø24, then adapter to Ø17 and to Ø13)
- option with UV lamp ?

We will gather all your suggestions, pass to our development team and we will let you know what can be done and how will be price range.

Once all agree with you, we will build prototypes, give it away to beta testers here at UKAPS and if all tests passed we will start production.

Let us know what you think.

Reactions: tim
Ensure good sealing for external use.
Keep it simple, no complicated parts, easy to clean.
Sound, my max mix is very loud due to the impeller rattle.
Ø16 dia inlets ;) In fact if you could just screw in the correct barb that would be good.
Spare parts.

I don't think an extra pump in the unit would be work, you would have the filter pump and the reactor pump working at different rates, not ideal.

In fact if you could just screw in the correct barb that would be good....excellent idea:thumbup: Ender
hoggie[DOUBLEPOST=1405159156][/DOUBLEPOST]A cradle to screw to the cabinet....maybe?
Easy access shut off valves for removal for cleaning the reactor...similar to these.
$_14.JPG

Think these are a must....don't see why these are so expensive!
hoggie

Last edited:
About time someone made a commercial reactor that can take a decent flow & pipe size.
There are many ways to go but keeping the unit small would probably mean either a multi chamber unit or a vortex design, both are very simple in operation.
A separate pump powered model has lots of potential as well.
The most simple design might just be an external version of what is readily available as an internal reactor.

Noise level when in use ... And water tight ... :) I'm sure you guys can top up with another great product ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,

Thank you all for your input!

All these suggestions takes me to one direction...to modify (internals to make CO2 dissolve correctly) small compact external filter construction. We would have different type of connectors, shut off valves, easy to clean, build-in pump, we could add heater, UV lamp.

What you think about having separate inlet and outlet pipe ? As Foxfish mentioned, two pumps on one inlet - outlet hosing will not be very good idea (maybe if we split hosing into two at reactor inlet and join into back at reactor outlet? We need to test this to see how that will affect water flow).

Thank you!

If I get what you mean you'd have the reactor with pump running in a parallel circuit to the main filter which again I don't think is a real good idea as if the reactor pump is stronger than the filter pump you would get cavitation due to low pressure on the reactor inlet. If your filter pump was much higher than the reactor you would still have the ractor pump running at forced RPM.

Unless you make it so that the pump is a modular extra for those that want to run the reactor seperate from their filter I don't think the pump is a good idea. It will increase cost and make the thing more complex then it needs to be.

I think if I was designing the reactor I would make some sort of inverted U-bend tubing with CO2 inlet and pipe inlet on one end and the outlet on the other. Have the CO2 go through a low pressure diffuser (unscrew to clean) and the undisolved CO2 will collect at the top of the bend, you could have a bleed valve here. Have the water tight fittings to screw in your internal heater and UV lamp on to the end caps. You'd have to work out pipe diamter and the bend radius to minimise pressure drop.

Basically the same design as the long tube CO2 reactors, screw off end caps, easily cleaned, no moving parts to break or rattle in the flow.

Think it's great that you are thinking of doing this, the more choice the better.

My opinion would be that keeping the design simple is best. Adding heaters, pumps or uv just complicates things and are all options that are otherwise available.

Obviously the main factor is it's ability to dissolve co2, next would be noise followed by the ability to see inside it (acrylic)

Having a reactor that doesn't need media in it is a huge factor for me as I means it only needs cleaning a few times a year.

Looking at the current effective designs, aqua medic 1000, foxfish's DIY id say stick to something similar to these.
The only change I'd make to the am1000 is a drain valve on the bottom to make pipe removal easier without spills and have 90deg elbows in the box for those that want them top and bottom.

Haven't used foxfish's but it looks good.

A reactor is a simple thing so why complicate it?

Look forward to seeing what you come up with :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vortex designs are extremely effective, they don't really seem to have limit of how much gas you can dissolve due to the very long contact time within the reactor.
A simple tube with an inlet set at an tangent will send the flow spinning inside ... that's it really!
I made a prototype to fit my standard fast flow reactor design but never got around to testing it (yet) but I thing a bit more work & a plastic injection version would work well?
If you send the flow spinning around the outside of the internal bottle the overall efficiency would improve dramatically!

image-3.jpg[DOUBLEPOST=1405539968][/DOUBLEPOST]Here is another prototype, you can see how the pipe enters the tube...
98853792.jpg[DOUBLEPOST=1405540167][/DOUBLEPOST]A simple vortex running externally

P103015528129.jpg

Last edited:
Look forward to it. Nothing else to add other than +1 on the quick release taps so it can be removed from the system without the need to remove other piping or drain down. I think adding the heater and UV would make it less attractive and affordable though.

The key to making a good one would be where the inlets and outlets are positioned. Reactors are usually seen as flow killers so it needs to be able to be kept in the cabinet with the minimum of tight bends possible.

I would be very interested in this, but as some have said, simple and affordable is the key. I have a heater in my Eheim so duplicating features like that would just put the price up. For me, something that works like the Sera 1000, but has a decent build quality and does not break like the Sera 1000, thats all that you really need to have a winning product that I would buy without question!

In addition to my last post, is there a progress update? The last update looks to have been in August when you were moving. I'm looking for something I can buy in December, or January latest. Are you likely to have something up and running?

Back