• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Reduced flow

idris

I have an EX1200 which I guess is about 3yrs old. I can't be sure, but I'm pretty sure the flow rate it produces has dropped significantly since it was installed.
(It is a little hamstrung as it has to pump to a height of about 5ft, but that has always been the case.)

All the pipe work has been cleaned out and is kink free.
I've removed and cleaned the impeller.
The filter media looks in a good physical state and is not clogged.

I assume the magnets in the motor should not degrade significantly over time.

There are parts of the filter I can't think how to clean (inside the network of pipes in the canister lid). Any thoughts on how I could do this, or anything else I could look at?

Cue tips/cotton buds whatever you call them. Then rinse out with strong flow from both side ( impeller removed of course)

Just had a look and max head is 1.8m or 6ft ish. I wonder if running near maximum head height for prolonged periods might have something to do with it? I'd guess that running near max would mean dirt etc would be a more serious issue than running at 2ft?

Last edited:
I'd remove 2ft at least from that 5 foot height. The head height is from the top of the unit where the pump is. Unless you have a tank setting up at 7ft? Have you checked the impeller, is it worn or has the little plastic axle snapped? Is there a leak anywhere from seals, though if there was a leak you would know about it.

"
The only way to remove 2ft of head would be to throw away the stand or cut the tank in half. (Almost.)
http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/tall-250l-y-llechen-ogof.15588/
wow that's a tall tank. Have you tried simply running the filter in a large bucket or plastic containerthat's just above the filter to see if that improves matters? You could always try putting the filter on a box to raise it a little if that's the case but I don't think it is.

If the cleaning doesn't work then the motor is probably on the point of dying.

Back