• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Wild Betta Spec - Betta Channoides

Hi Lee, Sorry to butt in . Most of the time they come on plants;)

No probs at all!! I was thinking that. I guess they'll die back naturally, given the lack detritus/available food!? It's a shame really they would be perfect fry sized fodder. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,
Any ideas where these come from Darrel?
I think it is probably the filter material, and that "Greenfinger2" is right and plants are the most likely the original source.

I'd look on them as entirely beneficial.

I think if you have dead leaves that they will probably maintain themselves, although a really efficient micro-predator might eventually eradicate them from the tank (but not the filter).

cheers Darrel

Hi all,I think it is probably the filter material, and that "Greenfinger2" is right and plants are the most likely the original source.

I'd look on them as entirely beneficial.

I think if you have dead leaves that they will probably maintain themselves, although a really efficient micro-predator might eventually eradicate them from the tank (but not the filter).

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel! That's good to know. Especially since the betta are breeding. I've come home today to find them in an embrace. I'm chuffed to bits, haha! The little worms should make good fry fodder. :)

I'm finding it almost impossible to get some good pics though. They are just stopping behind the plants and wood. I've managed to get these ones, which aren't great. I only seem to get a clear shot as they finish :(

herytypu.jpg
u9u7ujuq.jpg

Just managed to get this snap when they moved, briefly from behind the roots/plant. The females colour is beautiful. The males throat is also looking pretty swollen. I haven't seen them passing any eggs though. I'm just hoping he doesn't swallow them now. :)

py9urevy.jpg

Last edited:
On 'the fish hut' facebook page someone has posted video of these guys mating. Might be of interest to you.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

On 'the fish hut' facebook page someone has posted video of these guys mating. Might be of interest to you.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thanks Lindy! Yeah I'm on there quite a bit, it's a great little page. There's loads on YouTube too. The males hidden away now with a mouth full off eggs :). I can just see him in one of the caves. Hopefully he'll hold the eggs full term. I'd love to see some fry. :)

I wouldn't mind some of these for my blackwater tank so I've got my fingers crossed! Thats if you will post?

Maybe the male just needs larger reserves before starving himself for longer, they did go at it as soon as they arrived lol...

Back