• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Crystal River Shore

I wasn't criticising Nuno, the tree is one of my favourite scapes too. I think you have done a great job with your version. The plants are looking very healthy and the scape is looking clean and crisp. I very much like it :)

I didn't took it as a critic, but the total opposite ;)

Thanks for following

Hi everyone,

Since the start of past month the fert regime has been:

12ml Aquarebell Makro Spezial N
24ml Aquarebell Makro Basic Phosphat
21ml KramerDrak

Giving me a daily input of

NO3 - 3,01ppm in which 0,62 ppm comes from Urea
PO4 - 0,6ppm
K - 3,04ppm
Fe - 0,2ppm
Ca - 0,3ppm
Mg - 0,46ppm
Urea - 0,3ppm

Growth as been fantastic planths health really good, and finally the colors are popping out :D

So now with 130 days from start-up, and 30 days of new ferts it's needing of a major trimming job

14598250943_47416cdb43_o.jpgGeral Day 130

Stunning!

Beautiful! :)

Thank you both for taking the time to follow :happy:

I can only tell everyone that this is even more impressive when seen in person :)
Nuno, did you find any differences between the Micros you used and KramerDrak?

Hi Pedro,

Not Iron again :lol: Just Kidding ;)

I've been having a pleasant surprise since I've changed my ferts regime.

Well I can say that growth rate has increased greatly , the stems and ''monte carlo'' are healthier tan ever and besides using a good dosage of N, finally my rotalas rotundifolias have that pinkish tone that I was running after, with no ferts limitation.
I can definetly see more pearling .

My choice of using KramerDrak is to have a good blend of Iron as well as a good blend of Trace Elements with several chelators.

Here it is KramerDrak composition:

20,980 mg/l potassium, 3,440 mg/l magnesium, 1,875 mg/l iron, 715 mg/l manganese, 92 mg/l copper, 80 mg/l zinc, 70 mg/l boron, 43 mg/l molybdenum, 25 mg/l cobalt, 6.6 mg/l lithium, 6.5 mg/l vanadium, 6.3 mg/l aluminium, 6.3 mg/l nickel, 6 mg/l selenium, 5.3 mg/l tin, EDTA, HEEDTA, DTPA, NTA, ascorbic acid, methyl paraben, benzoic acid

If you compare it to TNC Trace or APFUK Chelated Traces you can see that this is a richer solution, but it's not as cheap as this last two, despite being sold in dry salt form as well.

Other reason for this choice was because I'm now using Spezial N recipe from Tobi, and being Urea one of the N sources, to make it readily available for plant uptake, plants need to produce an enzyme called urease. and they can only produce urease if nickel is present.

So overall I'm very pleased with the results, and not planning on changing soon, but as you can see iron wasn't the only change so the N source used may bee playing it's roll also :happy:

So the two together seems to me like a good bet, that I'm already seeing great results

Thank you for taking the time to follow my Journal here and in our Portuguese forums :)

Last edited:
This is maturing fantasticly well nuno, much admiration for this scape so much so I have a little 12 ltr imitation scape on the go :) one of my favourites on the forum at the moment, top work :clap:

Thank you tim,

It's an honor ta have someone making a tank with mine as reference.

What a team!:clap:
Every detail is treated carefully, very nice to watch this tank.
Nuno is really getting a pro, nice to have him near to learn! :) (the iron discussion is beyond my understanding....) o_O
My impression or the is much more simulans than last time?
cheers
tiago

Hi there Tiago,

You are also a reference to me, love your works, and our conversations are always very enriching.

As for the P. Simulans you are right, I've went to aquaeeden and didn't resist to bring 20 more ;)

I hope the coming week my 50 Axelrodia Riesei school arrives from Aquarium Glaser :D

You can order there? Or are you close?

Hi Edvet,

I'm really far away, but I had the luck of knowing the legal importer of aquarium glaser to Portugal, so i asked him to place the order and they turned up as available past week .

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

beautiful tank nuno, its clear that you must put the hours in for it. Much respect!

being relatively naive with ferts in that i havent really experimented or tried different formulations, could you not just have upped the dosage of say the TMC dry ferts and have the same results or was there a reason why you wanted more iron while keeping other trace elements at lower levels?
I also thought urea was bad for aquariums so will have to educate myself in this aspect.

Think it would look stunning back lit with orange light :)

Lavish! Very well done artwork!
Although I feel a bit strange in the midst of the stones falling sp.Japan mass.
:thumbup:

beautiful tank nuno, its clear that you must put the hours in for it. Much respect!

being relatively naive with ferts in that i havent really experimented or tried different formulations, could you not just have upped the dosage of say the TMC dry ferts and have the same results or was there a reason why you wanted more iron while keeping other trace elements at lower levels?
I also thought urea was bad for aquariums so will have to educate myself in this aspect.

Think it would look stunning back lit with orange light :)

Hi Iain the respect is mutual, loved your Asian Dreams, looking forward for your next one ;)

Has for ferts well I'm no chemist, but KramerDrak is a more complete Iron and Traces mix, the main objective was to give Iron from several sources as long with a good range of traces, as I said to Pedro before nickel was one of them for the reasons I described.

When I was using TNC Trace, I was already giving the plants 0,2ppm Fe daily, this is the same concentration that I'm using now with KramerDrak ... So I've not upped the doses and well everything is growing much quicker healthier, my rotala rotundifolia never showed It's pinkish tone, more a yellowing when closer to the light source, now It's with the colors I was chasing giving the tank that final splash of color ...

As for the urea, we have a good topic of this here at UKAPS http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/for-dan-spezial-n-nitrogen-fertilizer.14594/ , well a lot of controversial opinions, but isn't urea the main source of N on Tropica Fertilizers ?? Does not ADA use NH4 as the source of N ??

Well this got me thinking ... And I give it a try ...

I'm happy with the result so far, and if someone ask's me I say go for it ...

Does not ADA use NH4 as the source of N ??

Yes, but in substrate with a very small release to the water after 2 or 3 weeks (and that's one of the reason for the large water changes on the first weeks of the ADA "System").

But regarding your product change, and not wanting to restart any talk on iron :D, have seen ADA ECA? I don't even know the composition (anyone knows?) and i'm only asking to get your possible knowledge on that product, if you looked to it.

Pedro.

Back