• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Startup tank one month before planting?

Jaap

Hello,

I have everything I need to start the tank except plants and lights. I will have both at the end of July. By then I thought I would fill in the tank and start it up so when lights and plants arrive the tank will be one month in gear and bacteria will establish quicker once lights are on....of course I can place a few guppies now and use old water from another tank.

Is it worth it?

Thanks!

Old water is pointless, the bacteria you need is in the substrate, filter, decor etc, not in the water. As for adding guppies I presume you mean to do a fish in cycle from the start? Not really fair on the livestock. You should plant the tank up and let it run for a number of weeks to develop it's own bacteria culture before adding living things, IMO.

Nothing stopping you filling it, the glass, substrate and filter will all begin to grow bacteria. I wouldn't put any fish in it unless you were planning on doing 75% daily water changes. Scrap that I wouldn't put fish in it without plants and 75% daily water changes.

Will all this make a difference though? I mean is it worth it?

If I were you I'd wait. It will be easier to plant the tank without water or fish and will be less stressful with regard to cycling and bacteria.

Hi all,
go to someone with a pond and ask for some pond weed to put in your tank to help it start up...this will provide you also with bacteria ...later when your plants arrive your can trash the pond weed...
That one.
If you are in the UK? I can send you some Ceratopteris and Ceratophyllum, they are sub-surface floaters, and you can just hook them out when you drain the tank to plant the permanent planting.

cheers Darrel

Back