• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Kinda lost motivation at the moment for planted tanks, life has other priorities at the moment so the tanks just tick along. Haven't touched these for 4 weeks aside top ups... Mature one does fine where as the newer one is stag horn fest. I'll fix it eventually.
4u7y8uqy.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still all running well, started populating the second one again last week after the first lot of pandas disappeared. I fear the filter ate them as the intake had no guard on.... Stupid.
Iphone pics
ha2a6e3u.jpg

yte3amu7.jpg

eqyma9av.jpg

Still all running well, started populating the second one again last week after the first lot of pandas disappeared. I fear the filter ate them as the intake had no guard on.... Stupid.
Iphone pics
ha2a6e3u.jpg

yte3amu7.jpg

eqyma9av.jpg

Ouch. Vicious intakes on those liberties too mate.
Tanks look great. Almost like one scape split in two

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk 2

Like both tanks and tempting me to get shrimpy
Really like the King Kong and shadow panda

Very lush, love them both! :D Shame about the Pandas though. :(
cheers vink, pandas were my own fault so and only beat myself up.

Ouch. Vicious intakes on those liberties too mate.
Tanks look great. Almost like one scape split in two
hey al, that they are, shrimp guard on and up to 30 odd in there now. They've made all the difference after all the algae, detritus and neglect issues.
That was the plan but considering changing the mature one as its best part of a year old no doubt the substrate will stop buffering soon..... quite fancy trying salawesi's.....

Like both tanks and tempting me to get shrimpy
Really like the King Kong and shadow panda
So did i, sadly the king kong was one of the ones eaten by the eheim monster.

Hi Ian,

looking at the leaf-like gills on abdominal segments I would say that your bugs are Ephemeroptera larvae (Mayflies). They usually feed on algae and detritus, only few species are predatory. But let's wait for other members comments.

Cheers,

Jose

Do you know if they are a threat to shrimp fry Darrel?

I've now fished out 60+, with the tanks being next to the back door and it being open a lot I guess it's no suprise..

Been keeping them in a jar though so the Paros should enjoy them :)

I would deffinately recomend sulawesi shrimps. Very different in behaviour to anything else i have kept.
The thing i loved about them when i had them was the challenge of them. Far more difficult than bee shrimp in my opinion although they will reward you eventually :)

Hi all,
They are definitely Mayfly (Ephemeroptera) larvae, I can even tell which species, they are the "Pond Olive" - Cloeon dipteron. The adult mayflies are attracted to light, so you often get the eggs in tanks.
Fish love them, but they are very fast swimmers (these are Baetidae "swimming mayfly").
cheers Darrel
licorice and pencils went mad for them. Your right though they are super quick swimmers, think it was frustrating the paros since they are used to daphnia. Think they may still be chasing them next week :)

Tempted by the sulawesi Luke, only concern is my tank tend to have to take a bit of neglect from time to time which i dont think they will appreciate...
might just add some tigers and see if any ti-bees appear.

Hi all,
Do you know if they are a threat to shrimp fry Darrel?
No they are detritus feeders. They are different from nearly all other mayfly larvae in that they don't need very high quality water to live in, so you get them in urban areas in water butts etc.
licorice and pencils went mad for them. Your right though they are super quick swimmers, think it was frustrating the paros since they are used to daphnia.
A slow fish and "fast food" is always quite entertaining. I often mind the adult mayflies in the kitchen (where the home tanks are), so plenty must evade capture.

cheers Darrel

Back