• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

1 Point pH Drop and CO2 Diffusion

So a little update. I nearly created another thread but thought it might be good to keep it in one place.
So I'm still struggling with this tank and getting healthy growth throughout, maybe im being impatient....or maybe not but it seems that despite my tweaking nothing is improving.

I have changed my method of compiling my water change as moved the powerhead and in tank atomizer down towards the substrate. I've continued EI dosing and kept everything as steady as possible with no changes to BPS and so far its yielded nothing :(
I'm trying not to get frustrated but I feel like a lot of hard work is getting me no-where so I'm back to square 1.

Since the last update my Staurogyn Repens has died a death and has all but gone, every day i return home to see a host of leaves sat at the top of the tank. Generally the hygrophilia is doing ok but generally nothing grows at any rate and some plants just seem to stay exactly the same with no growth and very slow death. What I'm finding most difficult is to see/perceive positive or negative change and then react to it. I know its important to get the CO2 stable but how patient should I be before expecting results?

I think I got caught in the 'more light is more growth' trap and I've now taken the lights back down to 25% intensity after slowly raising them. I know I can grow the Staurogyn Repens as it started to take off before but im amazed at how quickly it has died.

To clarify this is how im running the tank now-

Weekly Water Change of 50% (80% RO Re-Mineralised to 80TDS + 20% Tap achieving total TDS of 150)
CO2 on @ 14:30-23:00 (2-3BPS)
Lights on @17:00-00:00 (now with 15min dim either side)

I have an inline diffuser which I could use on my external filter but it does slow down over the course of a couple of weeks which would affect the consistence of the CO2 level since it would be connected to the outflow.
If anyone has any suggestions I'd be very happy to hear them, I know that the CO2 isn't diffusing into the water correctly but i cant see what else i can do!

Cheers!

Hi sonicninja... I know what you mean, it also took me some months to fine tune my co2 enriched tank. Not sure if I can help you but here are some observations (not objective measures nor scientific data though):

- light and co2 stability are very important. If I'm not wrong I'm using now the same co2 injection for 7 months or more. If changes in light heigh are done, it is just 5 cm a week. Plants need time to adapt to these light/co2 conditions, and as experts explain to us in this forum this physiological change is quite important and may take weeks.

- to be honest my hair grass and Staurogyne are now growing much better, now that my light fixture is 20 cm lower (it was very high, at 40 cm, and now at 20 cm)... But two observations, I just have 48w T5 very high over a 65 liters tank, so I really have a Co2 enriched low light tank (most people say that this lights to be effective should be used just 15 cm over the tank). And the other thing is that even if most of the plants seem happier now (20 cm above the water) I am not really sure if this is due to more light or to the fact that I increased the light once all the growth was really stable.

- in my case I saw a big change once the plant biomass in the tank reached a significant volume. And this took one or two months. It happened especially with ferns (Bolbitis and Java trident). The bigger the plants, the more stable regarding their growth and health... I suppose the plant has much more photosynthetic surface, reserve tissues, uptake capacity, etc.

- the biomass issue had also a significant impact on algae control. I guess it has to do with much more O2 production, that surface for bacteria has been multiplied by 1,000, etc.

- and the most important lessons I learnt: things are never the same in your tank. New growth means less flow and distribution, also more ferts and co2 needs. New plant distribution means different conditions of light, ferts exposition, etc.

... Sorry for this long thread :( but One last thing, I also became a fan of WCs. If I can, I do 2x week around 50%. IMO plants love them

Jordi

moved the powerhead and in tank atomizer down towards the substrate
I have just read that... not sure if it is the best option. At least for me the best option has been a spraybar all along the back, jets hiting the front glass and at the same time creating a nice rippling. This way I achieve a circular flow that moves all the plants

I'm trying not to get frustrated but I feel like a lot of hard work is getting me no-where
Yep, looks crazy isn't it? So much work devoted to just a glass cube. I also used to feel mad reading about layouts' descriptions, especially regarding time devoted to maintenance (for example, 30 min weekly for 100 liters tank) and I use to think "man... you must be very very bad", but now I understand that once everything is adjusted, the time devoted is minimum, just for WC and trimming. Nevertheless, it should better say: Time for "physically" maintenance = 30 min, Time devoted to think/read/learn/worry about you tank = + 4 hours/day

Jordi

Damn.. Sorry to read this. I'm surprised that Stauro died- it looked like it was just about to take off :(

Personally I would say you should move the diffuser and powerhead back to the position they were in before. Having seen the tank in the flesh, the circulation around the tank looked absolutely perfect how you had it before. I would say you should go back to that configuration, and turn up the gas. Have it come on 2.5 hours before the lights, and sit watching the fish towards the end of the photoperiod. If they only start struggling towards the end, then set the Co2 to go off earlier. If they start struggling sooner, reduce the bubble rate.

I think the problem is simply not enough Co2. I don't think you ever found that "sweet spot"- the amount of Co2 just below the threshold at which the fish start to get stressed.

Just read your co2 and light schedule. I would increase the Co2, and have it go off at 22:00, or even 21:30. This will compensate for you increasing the bubble rate.

Thanks for the help Sascha & parotet, much appreciated.

So do you suggest- CO2 on from 14:30-22:00 & Lights on from 17:00-00:00 with an increased BPS of maybe 3?

I agree i've never found a sweet spot. It feels very much like the plants are hanging in there, some do well but they are hardy plants that dont require much in the way of CO2. Hopefully I can get the Stauro back up and growing nicely. The issue Ive had is since I've never really had a significant development in growth its been difficult for me to find the sweet spot, ive gone through a lot a plants and a lot of frustration too!

Since moving the powerhead and atomizer down things have only gone downhill which goes against what I'd expect. I'll leave the atomizer where it is but move the powerhead further above it and see what that does. Ive also set the lights at approx 15cm above the water surface.

5 hours doesn't seem like long enough of a photo period, you can have as longer of a period as you want, just keep the lights down. I know you've lowered them to 25% but honestly I'd say go lower. I have a similar set up and mine are at 15%.

A longer photo period with lower lights will do more than a 'short burst' of bright lights.

Also a little tip, which is purely for aesthetics, set the MIN LV on one of the channels to 1% - gives you a very nice moonlight effect in the tank. I had to do it at 3% as my lights didn't even come on at 1%!

Thanks Julian. I did have a 1% MIN but stopped with it as I was concerned it would be enough to encourage algae. Maybe I'll consider extending the photoperiod, anyone else care to agree/disagree with this or suggest how long?

I think you should determine the photoperiod by how long your co2 is stable for. You want a lime green DC at lights on, then when it turns yellow (keep an eye on your live stock) is when your co2 shuts off, followed by the lights a couple of hours later. Lime green DC at lights on is the most important, its like breakfast time for the plants. Once you know the duration of the lights, you can then tweak the intensity. Start out low and work your way up 2% every week until you start to see signs of algae. That's what I've been doing anyway, seems to be working well so far.

All great advice here.

Just remember Keith- you have all the elements of the beautiful lush aquascape you're wishing for. You have a great looking basic layout- the hardscape and plants are laid out great. That is more than half the battle already completed. Getting the plants to grow well requires less of that creative thinking, and a lot of simple trial and error. The hard work has already been done.

Just crank up the Co2 on a day when you can observe the fish for any signs of stress.

Thanks again for the advice everyone. Is it generally a good idea to have the CO2 on for a longer period at a lower rate or a shorter period on a higher rate? Should I just experiment with that myself?

I have added an additional hour of 'lights on' and set the CO2 to come on to reflect that. I'll increase the BPS rate as well and see how the fish are today.

Not sure, but a higher bubble rate can be more difficult for your fish... Less time for facing a very relevant change in their physiology, but experts will give you a better advice than mine.

Probably the best thing would be to switch on the co2 at least 2 hours before lights on and have enough BPS until you see good growth, no algae and no harm on fish... Then adjust downwards until you notice problems so you can save gas and money. I read this advice from other members and it worked for me. But again this make no sense if other issues are not fine tuned, such as flow, spraybar/outlet position, plants' position, hardscape position, etc. IMO the way to go is:

Adjust light how you want => ensure enough filtration (do you need all the filter media? Do you have enough filtration for this growth rate?) => improve flow (outlet position, change to spraybar, spraybar position, spraybar jets adjustments, ensure good O2 both night and day. The more light, the better flow needed) => make sure plants and hardscape don't block flow or light => ensure pH drop according to your water hardness (test your the upper limits concerning co2 injection... How much co2 can be injected without harming fish) => fine tune timing and BPS to save gas and give a security margin to your critters => ensure enough ferts in the water column

The more light, the better adjustments needed and any mistake will mean an algae outbreak. That is why the most experience aquascapers recommend low/medium lights enriched co2 planted tanks... It is a way of maximizing light use, having a high growth rate and having a good security margin. Once you've manage to do it, you will probably want to play harder... but remember to always address your adjustments taking into account all these issues.
The other way is low light non enriched planted tanks, safer for your critters and no need of such a perfect fine tuning.

This is what I learnt from the great plant growers here! Great forum isn't it? (Should be mandatory in every aquarium sets sold!)

Jordi

Back