• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
I was lucky enough to stop in and see Alastair and this tank last week, while making an extremely exciting collection (more on which in the coming weeks). Idiotically I'd managed to pack my camera without a memory card, so no photos unfortunately.

I know Al's had a few frustrations with crypt melt and transitioning between low and high tech, but the tank still has massive impact. The hardscape is genuinely great - managing to blend that many disparate large pieces of wood into a cohesive scape is no mean feat. The stars really are the fish though - seeing them in a tank with enough area and structure that different individuals/species visibly occupy different territories and niches and exhibit very natural looking behaviour totally made my day. None of the shyness that you might associate with species like Paros and galaxy rasboras was apparent, even with lots of people crowding around the tank.

I think I might start recommending 1000 litres as a minimum acceptable tank size :p

I was lucky enough to stop in and see Alastair and this tank last week, while making an extremely exciting collection (more on which in the coming weeks). Idiotically I'd managed to pack my camera without a memory card, so no photos unfortunately.

I know Al's had a few frustrations with crypt melt and transitioning between low and high tech, but the tank still has massive impact. The hardscape is genuinely great - managing to blend that many disparate large pieces of wood into a cohesive scape is no mean feat. The stars really are the fish though - seeing them in a tank with enough area and structure that different individuals/species visibly occupy different territories and niches and exhibit very natural looking behaviour totally made my day. None of the shyness that you might associate with species like Paros and galaxy rasboras was apparent, even with lots of people crowding around the tank.

I think I might start recommending 1000 litres as a minimum acceptable tank size :p

Sounds like Alastair should be selling tickets to view ! You're observation that the Fish are the Stars is very valid - being a long time Aquarist (40+ years) my main beef about a lot of the wonderful contributions on this site are let down by the attention to detail when stocking the final setup !

I say " Well done Alistair " , let's see some more pictures please !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Tom,

Very kind words mate really are. Was great to finally catch up and will look forward to a trip down over the next month or two to have a proper chinwag.

An exciting yet very heavy collection and one I'm looking forward to seeing get underway. It'll all look nice together. I could see that mind of yours ticking away on all the possible options.

I'm really glad you got to see it finally and was pleased I'd gotten ontop of the melt etc by the time you'd arrived. Just my silly mistake of doing filter clean on both filters gave you a nice cloudy look ha ha.

I couldn't agree more on your words. The wood was the hardest part to put together but think it was the perfect pick for this tank.
The inhabitants really have come out of any shells they may have had and was great to see them out and about as usual. Shame you couldn't stay long Tom and HOW could you have forgotten to bring the sd card Pffft lol

Sounds like Alastair should be selling tickets to view ! You're observation that the Fish are the Stars is very valid - being a long time Aquarist (40+ years) my main beef about a lot of the wonderful contributions on this site are let down by the attention to detail when stocking the final setup !

I say " Well done Alistair " , let's see some more pictures please !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Richard, I couldn't agree more about what you just said. Although my way of doing things is building a scape around the inhabitants so they feel comfortable and at home.
I keep all of mine too and not take them back to shops after final shots etc or pass them to someone I know who'll look after them just whilst I change tanks.

The planted tanks is a hobby I really love doing and won't ever stop, I'm constantly thinking what to add or change or what's next but my true passion is these species of fish. I fell in love with them a few years ago and any set ups I do will have these inhabitants requirements taken into account.

Your very welcome to pop over for a brew and what not Richard. I know your not far.

P's update to follow shortly

Just a quickie before I start tinkering.

Spent last night knocking up a bigger version of my "diy reactor for an fx5".

I'm running a tmc 2200 pump separately for co2 but the current reactor couldn't handle the amount of bubbles per second needed which lead to bba, so built this in about ten to 15 mins
I used acrylic for the tube so I can see what's happening inside and will be mounting it on the left rear side as it's a wee bit too big to go under but the hose will all be hidden inside the cabinet.
Managed to find an adhesive to bond pvc to acrylic

I've also made a quick 25mm clear acrylic inlet too. The outlet will currently be reduced to 16mm for a lily pipe until I've made up a few 25mm outlets today
Here are the bits

14217916579_6d47a98242_h.jpgDSC_0399 by Mr-T-, on Flickr

14217958520_ec3054e6a4_h.jpgDSC_0400 by Mr-T-, on Flickr
When it's all plumbed in shortly I can do a proper update and take photos.

Last edited:
Your going to get a bigger tank :eek:???

*Removing jaw from keyboard and reattaching to face*
:eek:Doood...me too. I've just been catching up with this wonderful journal, and I know this is now slightly off topic since the conversation has moved on...but seriously Alastair:rolleyes:...I've decided that you are now my most favorite crazy person...err sorry:oops:, ever so slightly eccentric person...or perhaps just passionate;)

...But your final bigger tank...I'm not convinced:shifty:...I think you should save yourself the extra expense and hassle of any intermediary tanks and just go all out like Jack Heathcote, as featured in PFK March 2014 http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=6236...
52eb93c13c90e.jpg

And get huge bills that mean you have to rehome all your fish that are too big for pretty much anyone in the UK? Noooo don't do it we will all be devastated :(

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Back