• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hello from Australia

Marc Chandler

Hello,

My names Marc and I am from Sydney, Australia.
I have been into aquascapeing and various other plant related projects for a few years now and still consider myself a keen amateur.
My first aquarium was one I found left out in the foyer of an apartment building while I was helping a friend move in. The previous occupants must have decided they were done with the small 50cm aquarium, but it would seem one man's trash is another man's treasure.
I decided to try it out myself and ended up getting some inspiration from Takashi Amano's nature aquarium world books which I still love today (I hope he brings out some new ones).
I look forward to reading through all the journals and information on here and learn as much as I can from you.
And hopefully I will be able to give something back to you guys in the process.

Here is a few of my projects..

This was my first aquarium that I mentioned in my story..

DSCF2062_zps3e4c3084.jpg

Small aquariums 10x10x10cm

IMG_0118_zpsb13fed2f.jpg

DSC_0456_zps8d9ba392.jpg

My first ever IAPLC entry 4x4x4cm

DSC_0051_zpsabc87ac0.jpg

My AGA 2013 entries

DSC_0044_zps0dbff1a5.jpg

P8280001_zpsb48304e7.jpg

My latest experiment

DSC_0345_zps9150c545.jpg

Hi Greenfinger2 thank you :)
Um well the iaplc entry was around the 1300 area I think.
The AGA entries were not in the top ten so they didn't place.
But I had fun creating them so hopefully I will do better in the years to come.

welcome :) great little scapes love the one that looks like its in a whiskey tumbler :)

Thank you Lee, although very finicky they very rewarding to create. Although tying those small twigs together to make that branch effect was a nightmare! :)

Thank you Lee, although very finicky they very rewarding to create. Although tying those small twigs together to make that branch effect was a nightmare! :)

Hi Marc, whats the planted tank hobby like in Australia? Is it hard to find plants? I know you guys have strict import and control rules on importing flora and fauna. I was just wondering how this affects the hobby?

Thanks,

Lee.

Hi Marc, whats the planted tank hobby like in Australia? Is it hard to find plants? I know you guys have strict import and control rules on importing flora and fauna. I was just wondering how this affects the hobby?

Thanks,

Lee.

Hi Lee, although we have very strict import rules now I believe earlier on this wasn't the case so many plants have been imported in over the years before and I guess some still make it in now. However we have many wonderful native species some of which are still being discovered so we are certainly not limited in my opinion. Many of the more popular species in the hobby are actually from Australia such as glossostigma elatinoides, glossostigma diandrum, Ranunculus Inundatus, and hydrocotyle tripartita.[DOUBLEPOST=1402234084][/DOUBLEPOST]We also have quite a lot of very nice native mosses :)

Last edited:
Back