• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting for low-tech

Vinkenoog1977

Hey guys,

I would appreciate some help regarding lighting. I'm planning a low-tech tank, inspired by Tom's Bucket of Mud, and others of the sort, and I would like some advice/ reassurance as far as lighting goes. I will be using three "regular" lighting fixtures, since this tank will sit next to my TV/ DVD-setup in my living room, and I want it to go with the decor a bit. The tank will be 120 x 60 x 30 cm., so around 200 liters.
After finding some fixtures I like, the search is now on for some bulbs. I obviously want to go for (dimmable) LED, and 6500K. I found some PAR20 LED spots which I think will be plenty. I need to add that besides going for dimmable LED, the light fixtures themselves will be adjustable in height as well.
The bulbs I found are 3 x 2W, 400-500 Lm, or 3 x 3 W, 750 Lm, available in 30, 45, 60 and 90 degree angles. Going with the golden rule of needing 1/2 watt per liter for plants that have a medium to higher need for lighting, the 3 x 2 watt bulbs should be more than plenty, and I'm guessing I would need the 60 degree angle ones, since I also want some plants to go emerse, and am, partly therefor, thinking the light fixtures would need to be around 45 cm. above the water level.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

I think 45cm above the water and 3x2w led's with 60 degree lenses won't be bright enough to grow much to be honest unless they are high output Crees or something. I have a 12x2w LED about that height and it seems pretty perfect for me, not too bright and good coverage over my 40cm cube. What fittings are you getting?

Back