• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Roots Dyed Dark - Low Tech Blackwater (updated 08-04-14)

:( Sorry to hear that mate :(

Thanks Rob.

If all fish are fine except the choco's i wouldn't think it's the tank/water that is the problem. How long did you have them? All from the same LFS

Hi Ed! Yea i think the tank water is fine, its a 100% RO and all the parameters are the same as they have always been. The chocco's were all from the same LFS, and i've had them for about six weeks i think. I'm really not sure what has caused the deaths??

Did you actually see them feed, not only snap at food but taking it in?
Colours of the fish and the way they looked where normal? Not easily scared (zipping left to right and back)
Did you see their poop. Nice and blackish or whitish and stringy.
On their way too the distributor and or LFS they could have picked up an infection (or a hidden infection can be activated through bad living situation). This can weaken them and slowly kill them.

Did you actually see them feed, not only snap at food but taking it in?

Yea they all seemed to be eating and taking food normally, at least up until a day or two before they died. I tended to lose a fish or two on different days over the last week.

Colours of the fish and the way they looked where normal? Not easily scared (zipping left to right and back)

The colour had faded over the last week or so, i did notice that some of the affected fish would just sit under the floating plants, and i could actually touch them, without them shooting off.

Did you see their poop. Nice and blackish or whitish and stringy.

I honestly didn't notice the poop.

Also there was no obvious signs of disease.

What do you think Ed?

There's too little info to name a suspect, does look like some kind of disease to me, probably only affected the choc's, so i don't think you'll need to worrie about the others.
If you suspect more problems raising the temp a bit improves immunity . Keep the tank as clean as possible and feed as healthy and diverse as you can.
There's probably little you could have done to prevent it. It's always hard to see the problems early enough or to spot them at all.

Yeah i think you are probably right Ed. Temp is at 26 c at the moment, and i'm very meticulous with maintenance and cleanliness. The fish also have a very health and varied diet, all cultured by myself. Its such a shame though.

Thanks for the advice.[DOUBLEPOST=1401797823][/DOUBLEPOST]I don't think i'm gonna bother buying chocco's from my LFS anymore. I might have a scan around for a private breeder, at least that way i know they will have been looked after properly.

My LFS can't even keep neo's alive I would hate too see any delicate fish in there

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

S can't even keep neo's alive
Neo's?
matrix-neo.jpg

Worst thing is I know they have the resources to keep each species but they just don't bother. I used to spend most days off in there but I started arguing with some of the staff about conditions and advice given so I don't pop in as much as I used to..

Thats a shame Lee and why I'm waiting to get some choccos from colin dunlop. Maybe if you order some too the numbers would be higher and more chance of the order being fulfilled by the suppliers.

Thats a shame Lee and why I'm waiting to get some choccos from colin dunlop. Maybe if you order some too the numbers would be higher and more chance of the order being fulfilled by the suppliers.

I think you have the right idea Lindy, i know colin has a good reputation. I'm not gonna stock any more fish now. I've had an application in for a Australian visa for a little while. My wife is an Australian citizen, so i think the visa is pretty much a formality. I'm just waiting to go for my medical (this is the last stage in the process), which is in July and hopefully the visa will be granted shortly after. I bought the paro's before i knew we were gonna emigrate.. So i'm gonna have to find a good home for them. David Armitage (from the AAGB) lives in York, so i'm hoping he will take them. I know he keeps paro's himself and i don't think he has any P. filamentosus. At least i know they will be cared for properly, thats if he wants them!?

Wow, good luck with that life change! When I think of Australia I think 'spiders and snakes' but would like to go to New Zealand. I'm sure someone with an interest in paros will take them. You could also try dtl on the forum, he's been waiting for some from colin.

Wow, good luck with that life change! When I think of Australia I think 'spiders and snakes' but would like to go to New Zealand. I'm sure someone with an interest in paros will take them. You could also try dtl on the forum, he's been waiting for some from colin.

Haha! Thanks Lindy, theres lots of spiders and snakes where i'm going :crazy:. I've spent a lot of time out there, visiting my wifes family, and some travelling when i was younger. I'm really excited to be honest, and its such a great place for my son to grow up.

I'd be happy to pass them over to DTL, i know he would look after them properly. Its a little while away yet, but i'll give hime a shout a little closer to the time.

Haha! Thanks Lindy, theres lots of spiders and snakes where i'm going :crazy:. I've spent a lot of time out there, visiting my wifes family, and some travelling when i was younger. I'm really excited to be honest, and its such a great place for my son to grow up.

I'd be happy to pass them over to DTL, i know he would look after them properly. Its a little while away yet, but i'll give hime a shout a little closer to the time.

Good luck with it all Lee.

Back