• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Roots Dyed Dark - Low Tech Blackwater (updated 08-04-14)

Looking great lee. Those fish will be very happy.

Thanks mate, i'm seeing lots of flirting from the chocco's. Hopefully something will come of it soon :). I'm not sure if this is the case with the chocco's but a couple of pairs seem to have formed. I have one pair which are never away from each other. I often see them swimming in circles with each other. Is this a good sign?

Seems like I've set a big trend off with the chocolate Gouramis/paro set ups lol.

It defiantly looks that way, haha!

If it's low tech just reduce the fert dosing and that'll keep your tds down.
My paros bred in tds 187 in my chocolate box and the chocolate lake is currently 196 yet have a pair of paro breeding in a power head (which is no longer used).

Yea it's low tech, i should be ok, my TDS is down to about 160/180, so if your are happily breeding i should be ok. I was just a little worried about Paro egg development.

Have you ever noticed the paro's and the chocco's praying on each others fry? Perdition was also a concern, especially in a relatively small tank (not an issue for you obviously, haha).

You'll never catch them all in their with out pulling it all up. They have a nack of going almost completely transparent and invisible.
Trust me.

I can imagine, i haven't seen all of mine together for a while. I often see the same 4 out and about at the front, especially at feeding times :). The others a little shy and tend to hang out in the caves at the back of the tank.

Tom took out all his paro a couple of years ago or so he thought and yet found one cheekily still in his tank on breakdown and that was with 2 rescapes in.

Haha! They are masters of stealth. I bet Tom got a bit of a shock :)

Looks great Lee, wish my tank was a little bigger to add chocos too.
Race is on now, who's breed first.... :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cough mine have......pics up today :p

Iain, do you want my 4ft shallow and cabinet from the chocolate puddle??? More room for choccos

Cough mine have......pics up today :p

Iain, do you want my 4ft shallow and cabinet from the chocolate puddle??? More room for choccos

You don't count, you got a head start :p
Should of known though! I'm a little surprised given you where having a few issues mind.... You got skills.

Thanks al, I would love it but I don't have the space or time unfortunately....
Have got a bit of an itch for an 8x2x1 though... :/

Looks great Lee, wish my tank was a little bigger to add chocos too.
Race is on now, who's breed first.... :p

A couple of my males are really coloured up. I haven't seen the dance with no pants yet though, hopefully soon. Haha!

You don't count, you got a head start :p
Should of known though! I'm a little surprised given you where having a few issues mind.... You got skills.

Thanks al, I would love it but I don't have the space or time unfortunately....
Have got a bit of an itch for an 8x2x1 though... :/

Ha ha. I see I see. No space for a 4 foot shallow but space for an 8ft. You think like me lol. Saying that my biggie will be up for free next year

Lee, if you've seen the choccos do the circle embrace that's a sign you may end up with little ones but usually first time round the female holds for too long. Make sure you have lots of floating foliage too as the babies stay on the surface

Ha ha. I see I see. No space for a 4 foot shallow but space for an 8ft. You think like me lol. Saying that my biggie will be up for free next year

Lee, if you've seen the choccos do the circle embrace that's a sign you may end up with little ones but usually first time round the female holds for too long. Make sure you have lots of floating foliage too as the babies stay on the surface

Cheers Al, exciting stuff. Hopefully i'll see some fry soon :).

Whats happening to the biggie if you don't mind me asking? Surely your not going bigger?[DOUBLEPOST=1401300707][/DOUBLEPOST]
You got to show them "how too"first Lee:D

Haha! I'm sure they'll find their own way Ed.

Cheers Al, exciting stuff. Hopefully i'll see some fry soon :).

Whats happening to the biggie if you don't mind me asking? Surely your not going bigger?

Yep my goal Has always been to have an amano home sized tank or similar. I won't be keeping the big one in the long run I'll be giving it all away
Only guy I know building an extension to fit a aquarium! Respect.

Lol sad huh mate

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk 2

Absolutely gutted!!! Over the last week or so i have lost all six of my choccos. I'm not sure what has happened?? Checked all my tank levels (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) and all are zero. Ph is 6.0 as it usually is, gH 4, kH 1, nothing has changed in the tank at all. The paro's and maculatus all seem to be fine and happy. I'm baffled, and feeling very disheartened. Gutted is an understatement. :(

Absolutely gutted!!! Over the last week or so i have lost all six of my choccos. I'm not sure what has happened?? Checked all my tank levels (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) and all are zero. Ph is 6.0 as it usually is, gH 4, kH 1, nothing has changed in the tank at all. The paro's and maculatus all seem to be fine and happy. I'm baffled, and feeling very disheartened. Gutted is an understatement. :(

Sorry to hear it Lee. It was/is looking excellent too. What a shame :(

Thanks all, i'm not sure what's happened? Thats the worse thing!! Its only the chocco's that have been affected. I haven't changed anything, the conditions in the tank are the same as they have always been. My maintenance routine hasn't changed either. The only thing i can think of is i fed some blood worm from my LFS last week, usually they only get the food i culture myself. I just find it strange that the paro's haven't been affected?

Back