• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Gourami Gloaming #4

Today I decided that I wanted to replace the sand with tmc nutrasoil to help lower my ph. Just as well I haven't got the fish yet or I doubt I would consider doing this. Was bad enough having to catch 50 shrimp! The nutrasoil soil should arrive tomorrow and i will syphon the sand out and replace it. All the plants are in a bucket and every leaf and alder cone had to be fished out too. What a fecking pain.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thanks Lee, hopefully not mission impossible! (Just annoying, messy and time consuming)

Well it was just as messy as I thought it would be but substrate is now brown Nutrasoil. Left out the rocks and have changed the planting so it is only crypts and a couple of lotus plants. If the lotus get too rampant with leaves on the surface I'll take them out but the lily pads look nice.

Brown nutrasoil
qe4u3ybe.jpg

6aqyqera.jpg

It is a little bit darker than the photo suggests.

3 weeks on and doesn’t look much different other than the water is crystal clear albeit tea coloured. Moved the crypts from the back as most of the leaves end up there and were covering the plants. Only inhabitants are 2 ottos but hope to have chocolate gourami soon.
aqu8y5u3.jpg

gera4y8a.jpg

Ihave to cover the lights with a towel or the phone takes even worse pics :oops:

Thanks Edvet, the crypts melted a fair bit so are just coming back. The surface is half covered in floaters and the lotus are sending more leaves to the surface for cover. The tank isn't as highly lit as it appears in the pics and is fairly tea stained too. There is also plenty of room behind the mas of java fern for fish to swim behind ad hide if necessary.

Thanks Alastair, I really hope so.

Collecting some parosphromenus sumatranus from colin dunlop tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing his fish house :)

Collecting some parosphromenus sumatranus from colin dunlop tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing his fish house :)

Didn't know he had any new stock in!!
Must drop him an email.

Spent an hour looking at beautiful frogs and fish :D and came away with 4 paros and some heather (thanks Colin) and also a new appreciation for bettas and channas.
The Paros were drip acclimatised and then released. They immediately disappeared into the leaf litter :rolleyes: I may never see them again.[DOUBLEPOST=1401454387][/DOUBLEPOST]
Lovely tank Lindy, will look amazing when grown in.
Thanks Darthpaul

Reactions: tim
Back