• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Tank Lighting advice

cariadsdad

Seedling
Hi
I have a 4x2x2 tank which is sumped (Co2 will be via the return pipe) - From my previous tank (marine) I had a 3ft marine LED unit but that was not fit for my new tank for many reasons.
I also have a 4ft ATI 8x54w T5 unit, which is probably a bit of overkill?

My question is ....
if i did use the ATI unit what combination of tubes would people recommend, or is it a non starter as far as being way too much light (i am not adverse to selling it to get a more appropriate unit)
if i stuck with T5's i am sure i would only need 4-6 tubes, is there a unit that people would recommend or have had good results with
and lastly, is there a reasonably priced LED unit that has a good colour spectrum (i.e. not just white 6500k) and programmable (like my marine unit, but for plants)
any help would be much appreciated

Mike

Hi Mike, at least you are aware about using to much light.
The points to remember are ... You match the amount of light to the amount of co2 available.
So with a big tank & co2 consuming sump you will have cut out you work getting enough co2 in the tank full stop!
So with the lighting you would be best starting off with two t5s max, best with adjustable hieght unit.
Colour choice is yours as plants will adapt to not only low light but colure spectrum too.

I have been looking at the Beamswork units ... Has anyone used these? Not sure if they just come with white bulbs or they have a better colour spectrum

I haven't used the Beamsworks but a few on here have, I believe they're good value for money but for high light you might need to double up on them.

Back