• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

am I loosing the battle against brown algae?

Hi Martin,
It's frustrating, I know, but hang in there! You can do another blackout or you can do what I call a "soft blackout" where you just disable the light and shut down CO2 for a few days. Lots of water changes of course.

Cheers,

I know Clive is gonna eat me alive but otos r gonna love to help u for the start and after that u never gonna see the diatoms again,promisse.cyanobacteria is offten connected with low nitrates and low flow at the same time. Increase dosing of kno3, make sure not dead spots concerning flow, get four otos and il be surprised if u not happy after seven days.of course staying low with ur light for some time yet. Bet you. Good Martin

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

I know Clive is gonna eat me alive but otos r gonna love to help u for the start and after that u never gonna see the diatoms again,promisse.cyanobacteria is offten connected with low nitrates and low flow at the same time. Increase dosing of kno3, make sure not dead spots concerning flow, get four otos and il be surprised if u not happy after seven days.of course staying low with ur light for some time yet. Bet you. Good Martin

I already have 9 otos, 5 SAE and 50 or more shrimp...also dosing 2x the normal dose of KNO3....flow is super after some experimenting...CO2 is at max
That's why I got a bit frustrated

Oh I see Martin. In that case I would suggest to approach it from the other side.more health y fast growing plants ?! if you don't want to touch your scape try floating plants,lots floating plans. Or even just ceratophyllum demersum and let it flow loosely?! Once the plants take over, those fancy ones should catch up?! Hope I'm not missing something here again. Sun light blocked btw?I know silly,sorry. good luck Martin you seem been struggling with that one for some time now. P

Hi Martin,

Sorry to read about your frustration.... For how long the 2 filters have been running on this tank? Are they well established and colonised? Might be a good idea to introduce some bacteria in them, to give the colony a boost. On water change, for how long do you keep the filters off? If you keep them off for longer than 30 min, the bacteria are very likely to suffocate and you can loose a considerable percentage of the colony.

Recently I have similar problem, I was using only one filter on my 60 cm, but as it is very heavily planted it was difficult to manage the bio load. To make things worst, we had a power cut off, because of a fault and the filter was off for more than 6 h, just couple of days after Introduction of the new fish and after a massive trim... In 2 days time, ammonia spike hit and I lost 70 % of the fish, brown algae covered all the plants, GSA covered the glass.. it was looking devastated. I was quick to install the second filter, but for the next 10 days....no improvement, despite the massive water changes. Then I have introduced some bacteria to the both filters and kept going with the regular water changes, high ferts, high CO2 etc. 10 days ago, I have decided to use H2O2 to clear the algae covering the plants. I have used a small spray bottle and sprayed the glass, the hardscape and over the plants(but plants were under the water level - I was spraying under water!!. If sprayed directly on plants when emmersed, most likely it will kill them!!). Waited about 5 minutes and then filled the tank back with fresh water. After few hours everything was still pearling and by the evening, all the algae were completely gone. Fish and shrimps were ok, didn't look stressed much. Next day, I did another massive water change to remove all the dead algae. Instantly I could see improvement in the plants, they were free of algae and were starting to grow again. I have used about 40 ml of H2O2 in 50 l tank.

Regarding the GSA - I sprayed them, but didn't remove them to see how they will behave. A week later they were still on the glass, but not growing at all and kind of brownish in colour. Last Saturday, I have scraped them off with a plastic card and they came off as a whole peace, completely dead. I use the H2O2 for spraying on the glassware as well and they are nice and clean, without the need of touching them.

Disclaimer: Now I would not advice use of any chemicals in the tank unless as very last resort, even though the H2O2 is basically Hydrogen and oxygen compound and is very mild. Always I would first try to remove the source of the problem, not the symptoms. I have decided to use H2O2, as I couldn't find a way to remove the algae from the plants (especially carpet and stems) and the algae were suffocating them - it was that bad.
My plants were not damaged after the use of H2O2, but I can't say if it will affect other species.

I have done some reading about the H2O2. No serious study has been made, but apparently it bonds with organic compounds or metal ions in order to release the O2. However one need to be careful as at certain( unknown for me) concentration, because of its chemical reactivity, it might become toxic(releasing heavy metal ions and other organic elements while breaking the compounds).

It also affects single cell organisms ... like algae and bacteria. Now I am not sure if it affects a lot the beneficial bacteria in the tank....it probably does, but from what I have read it is not very strong antibacterial product, so hopefully does not affect them much.

Antoni, did you turn off your filters while spraying H2O2 ?....if I reed it correct, you sprayed while all water was still in the tank than after 5min. did a water change, is that correct?

Petn, good idea to use some floaters for a while, at least they will get some more TDS out of the water.

I believe in the "within ecology" way Martin.personally i wouldn't put anything toxic such hydrogen

peroxide. Sorry that was my phone sending before I was ready:) I think the plants will do it's job and once you get the balance sorted all ok.Good luck

Just to say I did hydrogen peroxide once struggling with algae but floating plants are going to help with balance and on the end are the only true solution.in my case hp didn't help much,just gave me fear that I'm killing what I need to stay alive to be honest.

Hi Martin,

lovely tank to be! From what I can see the surface agitation is quite strong and that reduces the amount of the dissolved co2 in the tank. You are pumping enormous amount of it in :wideyed:
One question - is the diffuser only one? Couldn't see, where the co2 hose from the front bottle is going? Perhaps to a diffuser on the second filter? The diffuser is attached to the intake, so the co2 should dissolve pretty well before it reaches the tank.
I would check any single connection of the co2 for leaks. Sometimes especially if the tubing is more stiffer, the connections on the needle valve and the bubble counters might get a bit loose in time... This is where you might be wasting significant part of the co2. maybe you can lower slightly the spray bar so the water stream doesn't break the water surface that much.

From what I see on the video there are some black spots on the stones - is that bba or the pattern of the rock, If bba then it is a symptom of co2 problem....
Plants are melting because they either don't get enough light or co2.

With the current circulation pattern, I think the circulation to the back end, where the stems are is blocked by the large stones which might be one of the reason why the stems on the back are struggling.

I also think your light is way to low for healthy growth.... I know most of the people will advocate the opposite, but one T5 only so high above the water..... IMO the carpet is far from getting enough light and is struggling.

Regarding the filters...from what you mentioned in the video, the media is only floss, a bit of active carbon and sponges..... I would introduce gradually more biological filtration media with more surface for the bacteria to colonise (as Victor mentioned earlier - pumice, alfagrog, ceramic rings etc ). This will improve the water quality by reducing the harmful organic compounds in the tank.

Back