• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Why do we aim for 30 ppm CO2?

Hi Aquadream,

Are you able to put a (PAR) figure on 'medium light'? My point about 30ppm CO2 is that it is twice the figure required by many plants, according to Tropica. So, if nothing else, we are subjecting our fish to twice the CO2 concentration than may be necessary. And we're wasting CO2.

I note that you don't switch your CO2 off overnight. That's what I would prefer to do.

JPC
Medium light would be anything near 50 PAR.
The fish is not concern about the amount of CO2 unless is in toxic levels. Also waisting CO2 is relative and depends on how desperate you are to get your plants to look really good. CO2 is cheap enough.
I have about 250 CRS in my tank and they are not much concerned about the CO2 either since I see they are breeding well.
I found turning on and off the CO2 to be more of a problem than constant good levels, because of the PH shifts that are far more stressful IMO than some extra CO2.
Besides with Amazonia this days I have little choice. High CO2 or no plants.

Hi john! Have you checked your ph profile? This is probably the best way to check if you are injecting enough co2.
Hi Lee,

I haven't started injecting CO2 yet as I am still setting the tank up. My new regulator should arrive tomorrow and the first bubbles in the tank are likely to appear this coming Friday.

JPC

Hi Lee,

I haven't started injecting CO2 yet as I am still setting the tank up. My new regulator should arrive tomorrow and the first bubbles in the tank are likely to appear this coming Friday.

JPC

Ah! Sorry mate, I should have read your post properly. :-@.

You shouldn't worry about the 30ppm number. As above, you need to inject enough co2 for healthy plant growth but not so much that you harm your fish.

As I said check your ph profile once you are up and running. This is defiantly the best way to check how efficiently you are injecting co2.

Looking forward to seeing the tank :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Medium light would be anything near 50 PAR.
The fish is not concern about the amount of CO2 unless is in toxic levels.
I found turning on and off the CO2 to be more of a problem than constant good levels, because of the PH shifts that are far more stressful IMO than some extra CO2.
Hi Aquadream,

Thanks for the feedback. I have extracted from your original post the points above as they are of particular interest to me.

Firstly, your idea of medium light is what I had in mind.

Secondly, the toxic CO2 level for fish is what I am unsure about. For a start, it seems to be dependent on the dissolved oxygen concentration, which makes sense. It also varies from species to species. Most of the research I have found is in the field of aquaculture. Young fry may be more vulnerable to CO2 than adult fish. And so it goes on.

Finally, pH fluctuations. Presumably, this will be dependent on the KH of the aquarium water. I would expect the lower the KH, the more the pH will fluctuate. What I don't know is how much pH variation fishes are comfortable with. And it's not just the pH variation but the rate of change of pH.

JPC

PH fluctuations do not depend on the KH, but on variation of the CO2 concentration. KH is considered a relatively constant factor unless there are materials such as some rocks that can react with the CO2 injected in aquaria resulting in raise of KH.
Now what PH fluctuations the fish would be comfortable with is a difficult question to answer.
Some scientists (I am not one) would suggest some values, but IMO fish would like PH fluctuations as much as humans would like temperature or moisture fluctuations over the 24 hours period.
What they can tolerate is a different matter to which I am not competent to give an adequate answer..
I consider stable PH to be the best way.

Sorry Aquadream, pH fluctuations do depend on KH.

As an illustration, a 20 PPM increase in Co2 may lower the pH by 0.8 in low KH water, while the same in increase in Co2 may only lower the pH by 0.1 in high KH water.

The fish don't mind the pH change as such, as it is not paired with a sudden change in TDS, so it won't shock their Osmoregulatory system.

When people talk about fish being sensitive to pH changes, they usually mean that they are sensitive to TDS changes, which are often coupled with hardness and pH changes.

Hope this is clear

When people talk about fish being sensitive to pH changes, they usually mean that they are sensitive to TDS changes, which are often coupled with hardness and pH changes.
Hi Sacha,

That's very interesting. I wasn't aware of that. Is it not the case, though, that pH changes can affect fish independent of TDS? I am not a fish physiologist so I'm on shaky ground here.

JPC

Yes, of course changes in pH can affect fish independent of TDS, but they are much more sensitive to TDS and hardness than they are to pH.

Fish have been found thriving in parts of the Amazon where the pH is about 6 at night, and about 2.5-3 during the day.

Yes, of course changes in pH can affect fish independent of TDS, but they are much more sensitive to TDS and hardness than they are to pH.

Fish have been found thriving in parts of the Amazon where the pH is about 6 at night, and about 2.5-3 during the day.
Hi Sacha,

Thanks for putting me straight on that.

Your last sentence is of particular interest.

JPC

Sorry Aquadream, pH fluctuations do depend on KH. <br /><br />As an illustration, a 20 PPM increase in Co2 may lower the pH by 0.8 in low KH water, while the same in increase in Co2 may only lower the pH by 0.1 in high KH water. <br /><br />The fish don't mind the pH change as such, as it is not paired with a sudden change in TDS, so it won't shock their Osmoregulatory system. <br /><br />When people talk about fish being sensitive to pH changes, they usually mean that they are sensitive to TDS changes, which are often coupled with hardness and pH changes. <br /><br />Hope this is clear<br/>
I think aquadream is considering stable kh in a tank, which produce always the same results concerning ph decrees.so no fluctuation here!? What has been mentioned was variations in co2 concentrations while injecting and that's a bit tricky to avoid. My regulator seems to do a good job though although having a splitter for four tanks on top of it.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

Sorry messed up here a bit with coppying the previous post,not sure how to do it on phone properly

Not sure if you saw this tutorial by clif. U may find it interesting and useful as I did.

Sorry Aquadream, pH fluctuations do depend on KH.

As an illustration, a 20 PPM increase in Co2 may lower the pH by 0.8 in low KH water, while the same in increase in Co2 may only lower the pH by 0.1 in high KH water.

The fish don't mind the pH change as such, as it is not paired with a sudden change in TDS, so it won't shock their Osmoregulatory system.

Hope this is clear
If KH is stable in any given aquaria then the PH fluctuations will not depend on it but on CO2 fluctuations. KH is suppose to be the buffer capacity of any aquarium and assist in keeping the PH stable, not the factor that causes PH fluctuations.
We can smart argue forever over this, but KH unstable tank is basically a recipe for disaster.
So when you make a statement against another statement remember that this is not philosophical discussion considering all possibilities, but in particular a stable aquarium.

Other wise PH fluctuation can depend on more than KH and CO2 if we get to dig too deep.

PH can change where TDS can remain constant because PH depends on CO2 and TDS does not. Also PH is related to TDS, but again TDS is suppose to be a relatively stable parameter in aquarium. TDS would not change significantly ever if we do not add fertilisers. Of course you could go onto the water evaporation, but there the answer would be simple to. Top up with RO will prevent huge changes in TDS readings. So your second statement is quite incorrect am afraid.

I would say the discussion should revolve around the basics of stable aquatic environment, not around what could happen or how many chemical possibilities are out there, because that would get on the way of the hobby.[DOUBLEPOST=1396644428][/DOUBLEPOST]

PH 6 at night and 2.5-3 during the day??? Are you sure is not the opposite. In nature CO2 will build up in aquatic environment at night not during the day. So at night PH will be lower, because during the day all plants will use up the CO2.

If TDS is stable in aquarium the fish will not be sensitive to it. So instead of getting at what the fish can be sensitive to you should be looking up for stable parameters in your tank.

Last edited:
I didn't realise you were talking about KH in one specific tank. You simply said "pH fluctuations do not depend on the KH". Which is obviously wrong.

Secondly, you say that my second statement is quite incorrect? In what way exactly? Are you trying to say that changes in pH caused by Co2 give the fish Osmoregulatory difficulties?

Hi Aquadream,

So, presumably you leave CO2 running overnight?

Is your CO2 set for 30ppm concentration?

May I ask - what fish do you keep?

As I said my CO2 runs forever, meaning literally forever. It never stops and it goes at rate 3-4bps.
I have about 250 CRS in the tank, no fish yet. I would refrain from fish for a while, because I want the CRS to multiply even more.[DOUBLEPOST=1396644955][/DOUBLEPOST]
I didn't realise you were talking about KH in one specific tank. You simply said "pH fluctuations do not depend on the KH". Which is obviously wrong.

Secondly, you say that my second statement is quite incorrect? In what way exactly? Are you trying to say that changes in pH caused by Co2 give the fish Osmoregulatory difficulties?
Yes if the PH changes caused by CO2 are big enough.

On the first one please get out of the chemistry class. This is an aquatic forum and we are discussing aquatic realities, not basic water chemistry.
Yes PH fluctuations does depend on KH if you want to regulate PH in this way, but in aquarium PH is not regulated in this way. In aquarium KH have to be stable and serve as a PH buffer not to contribute to PH fluctuations. Not just in one specific tank, but in all of them.

Last edited:
Back