• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Algae in new tank with pics....help please

Eltanko1982

Seedling
Hi all, has anyone any advice on my current algae situation? A bit about the tank, 100l (75 after displacement) three and a half weeks old, just finished fishless cycle, using ADA Aquasoil, TMC Grobars x 2 , Eheim pro 3 filter custom spraybar. Dosing with EI dry ferts 15ml macro/micro alternating, Sodastream CO2 with solinoid 1.5 bps and adjusting as necessary. Stock 4x c.tetra, 2x oto, 4x bumble bee shrimp.
Algae only just broke out, i have been getting quite a thick film on water surface which seems to have gone since the algae has appeared, coincidence? Plants are not looking great either :(

Thanks in advance.....
http://tinypic.com/r/o7iko1/8
http://tinypic.com/r/xf94xc/8

Last edited:
That's going to be a lovely tank! Get it in balance concerning lighting,water flow,dosing,co2 and u should not have a problem.floating plants,less light and water changes may help for now, seems like lots of light from the picture.increase lighting slowly later when u get the balance needed good luck,it's looking lovely

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

The water flow is often underestimated I think. Make sure u have distribution all over the tank.

Hey thanks for the nice comments! I do have lots of light, maybe not as much as it looks in the pic though. As for flow Eheim state 950 lph so im guessing 600-700 lph delivered via a spray bar its not turbulent but i dont seem to have any dead areas....

Sounds good to me and looks good to me too :) floating plants or use just half of the lighting capacity,perhaps shorter lighting period.looking forward to see this tank in a month worship ;)

In a month eltanko I meant;)

I would turn off one light for now and run it for about 6 hours. Try increasing your co2 slightly coming two hours before lights on, so the drop checker is lime green when lights come on, you can turn it off 2 hours before lights off. If you have the spray bar setup right then you shouldn't be getting film on the surface.

I would turn off one light for now and run it for about 6 hours. Try increasing your co2 slightly coming two hours before lights on, so the drop checker is lime green when lights come on, you can turn it off 2 hours before lights off. If you have the spray bar setup right then you shouldn't be getting film on the surface.
thanks i'll give that a try.

Back