• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Trigon 190 'Crypt Corner' (PFK featured)

Just seen this journal and gone through the lot in one go. I can't really add anything creative, but I just wanted to say that your layout is clever and beautiful, and that your mods for the tank and your home built cabinets are some of the best DIY aquarium work that I have ever seen, and they are truely creative too.

All the best from Bill. :D

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Cheers Bill, thank you for your nice comments and I'm glad you have enjoyed the read - I'm planning on doing a re-scape in June and plan to document the next project even more as I go along. :)

Just read the PFK article:thumbup:
Yeah, me too.
Really good to see quality readers aquariums in the magazine, showing people what can be achieved even in challenging shaped aquariums.
Great job Gary....bet it feels ace to be featured :)
I like the new slot they have in PFK for readers to send in pics of tanks and fish, should be cool.
I noticed from elsewhere on the forum that you may be set to do another scape....maybe already done?.....any clues mate?
Cheerio,
Ady.

Yeah, me too.
Really good to see quality readers aquariums in the magazine, showing people what can be achieved even in challenging shaped aquariums.
Great job Gary....bet it feels ace to be featured :)
I like the new slot they have in PFK for readers to send in pics of tanks and fish, should be cool.
I noticed from elsewhere on the forum that you may be set to do another scape....maybe already done?.....any clues mate?
Cheerio,
Ady.

Cheers Ady,
I'm looking forward to seeing it that's for sure :)
I have been ultra busy this weekend preparing for the next new scape - I'm still altering hard scape at the moment... 8hrs on and off today! I'm getting there though and I've taken loads of photos to start a whole new journal very soon :)

Well, I have just read my article in PFK and I am well pleased! :) Nathan Hill has done me proud on his excellent write up and Neil's photos are fantastic!

Ive just read the article and its brilliant. Its great to see what can be done and as a fish keeper with very little planted tank experience these sort of things are both inspirational and encouraging, very nice job gary :)

Mark

Ive just read the article and its brilliant. Its great to see what can be done and as a fish keeper with very little planted tank experience these sort of things are both inspirational and encouraging, very nice job gary :)

Mark

Cheers Mark and I am glad you enjoyed the read :)

Cheers Ady,
I'm looking forward to seeing it that's for sure :)
I have been ultra busy this weekend preparing for the next new scape - I'm still altering hard scape at the moment... 8hrs on and off today! I'm getting there though and I've taken loads of photos to start a whole new journal very soon :)
Really looking forward to it mate.

Just read the article in saisburys, really well done mate.

What you mean you did not buy a copy! ;) I never had you down as a shelf reader young Ian lol - thank you though :)

Fantastic write up with some cracking photos Gary, I think they took all the aspects that make your tank special, and touched on everything, including your great Dremmel work.

Shocked to read you've only been in the hobby as long as I have too!

Keep up the good work mate :thumbup:

Fantastic write up with some cracking photos Gary, I think they took all the aspects that make your tank special, and touched on everything, including your great Dremmel work.

Shocked to read you've only been in the hobby as long as I have too!

Keep up the good work mate :thumbup:

Thank you Nath, I'm really chuffed... I took a copy into the office today for work colleagues to pass around and some more great comments, possibility of a few more new tanks starting up soon I think ;)

Hi Gary

I'm 3 weeks into my new scape. Lets call it "The Return of the Trigon 190".

I looked at lots of scapes and your was the one I wanted to recreate.

I feel like I'm close, but I'm in the need of some advice from the experts regarding plant health.

My setup:
Trigon 190.
2 T5. On at 4.30 off at 10.30
1 Aquaray 400 mini. On at 6.30 off at 11.30
co2 @ 2.5 to 3BPS On 2.00 off at 8.30
Filter, Eheim 350t, inline diffuser on the output.
Feeding plants with EI. Dosing 40ml micro, 40 macro every other day. 50% water change(Sat) a week. Rest day from EI is a Sunday. Im using the EI recipe from aquarium plant food.
Substrate is tera complete. Gravel is Fiji.

Plants:

Wendtii green, Brown
Staurogyne repens
Anubias petite
Alternanthera reineckil pink
Hydrocotyle tripartite
Polygonum sp. Sao Paulo
Microsorum pteropus narrow.
xmas moss.

First week 50% water changer per day. 2nd week 50% every other.

The Anubias petite has leaves that seem to be breaking down. Around the middle of the leaf.

wendtii brown looks good but the wendtii green has one or two brown leaves plus brown edges. I have seen crypt melt before. I don't think its the problem on this occasion.

Hydrocotyle tripartite,Staurogyne repens has new growth but some of the leaves again are brown and some have brown edges.

Some of the old growth on the xmass moss has furry white algae.

pteropus narrow and Polygonum sp. Sao Paulo are looking good. Especially the Polygonum sp. Sao Paulo. Nearly at the surface.

I'm not after very fast growth just health plants.

Question is. Is all my problems due to a new tank set up? And are the plants just acclimatizing to their new environment?

My instinct is telling me to add more ferts, say 50ml micro, macro.

The flow around the tank should be the same as Garys Trigon was. I'm using the installation kit 1 and 2 plus the eheim wide jet outlet nozzle. The filter flow is not set to maximum on the filter. Its set around 80%. Any more and the fish are swimming in a whirl pool!

Any feed back would be great.

Regards.

Sorry. Pictures not very good.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/841/whj8.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/19/yq77.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/27/lhwb.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/819/7pd67.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/716/k4dm.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/594/zajj.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/89/ylbu.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/834/utki.jpg

The scape should have better balance when the microsorum starts to grow. Most of it is in the back. I'm 75% happy with the redmoor . I want to move the large piece of wood that's out of the water more to the centre. If I do my zebra plec and king tiger plec wont like me!
I've got 20 green tetra in quarantine plus 10 rummy noise and 3 pygmy corys

Fish in the trigon are: 7 dwarf chain loach. One lonely rummy noise tetra. 3 cardinal tetra. 2 German blue rams. 3 pygmy corys. 5 or so crystal red shrimps. 2 amano shrimp. 2 octos, 4 kuhli loach. 2 glass cat fish. 6 mosquito rasbora and a Corydoras sterba.
The aquaray 400 give a great affect when its on!. I'll take better pic's when all the fish are in.
I would like to sort my plants before the new arrivals.
Regards

Hi Gary,
Well done on the tank, it really is impressive. You have highlighted how fish keeping is an art as well as a hobby and can really bring out the creativity in us all and I for one will say that what you have documented and done is really inspirational.

Do I see that you are using Juwel reflectors on your lights?

I notice that you do not have any air stone in your tank. Now I thought that an air stone was mandatory if using pressurised CO2 system. Mine is running at the opposite end of the CO2 cycle. My CO2 goes on from 12pm - 9pm and my air stone goes on from about 2am - 6am. So is it really necessary to use an air stone at all?

In my planted tank (if that is what you call it) I use a TMC CO2 reactor inside the tank with a submersible pump, I use a phosban reactor (external) but this is powered by a submersible pump, I use a submersible tunze and I use a eheim skimmer (really impressed) so already you can imagine how much clutter and pipes there are in my tank and I wonder if I actually need half of it at all. I think it all ruins my tank. I have also started EI dosing and am beginning to see impressive results.

Would really appreciate your views and advice on this?

I would post a picture of my tank but I have had to cut back all the plants (except 1) as I had to remove large amounts of black algae on the plants.[DOUBLEPOST=1405767589][/DOUBLEPOST]Forgot to mention that my tank in question is a Juwel Vision 180 (bow fronted) with an external Juwel Professional 3 250 but I am replacing this with a Juwel Classic Cannister 350 as I think the 250 is not performing well enough for my tank.

Hi Gary, I know it was a while since you made this post but I had a question for you if you don't mind. I too have bought the eheim kits 1 and 2 after seeing how good a job you did modding your trigon. Do you know the code of the skimmer attachment you added on? Also could you post a close up of how you added it on or give me some advice on how you did it? Thanks in advance :)

What is the exact set up for co2. I see the fire extinguisher (great idea btw!) I see the regulator @ co2 tubing. But what are the black things on the tubing (check valves/anti syphon) & what is the device that the tubing is going in & out of its clear plastic or glass with liquid inside which hangs on your centre support of the cabinet. I'm using liquid c02 now but maybe will upgrade to your type set up. Will I need a c02 checker inside the tank? How often does the liquid in the c02 checker need replacing? What is the device attached to your cabinet left door is it thermal? Any tips or hints on how you set all this up will be much appreciated.

I've been learning from my own mistakes & it's costed a small fortune.

Thank you

Ross

Back