• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Reducing light intensity in Juwel tank

Also juwel lights dont have a good track record, their ballasts are known for being short lived
My first Juwel unit lasted 7 years and that was bought second hand. Current T8 unit is 4 years old and is about to be replaced this week with T5 hi-light unit.

Most Juwel lighting failures, according to local shop is people dropping the unit in their tank and water getting in, especially in older units where the seals fail at the lamp connectors and the fact that people fail to seal/replace the lamp gaskets.

If I had my way, and could get the Juwel units open (and sealed again) I would be to replace the Juwel ballasts with a dual dimmable version (about £50) so the tubes could be dimmed. There was a dimmable ballast I found based on 1-10V control and a switched one where you apply power for 0.6s, turn off and when back on cycles up and down brightness until you cut power again and it remembers that brightness.

I've turned the one at the back for now but I'll see about getting another reflector :)

I don't understand why Jewel started making them this way :(

Viv
Hello Viv,
I've got a Rio 125 and I have algae issues although my tank is quite heavily planted with mainly Crypts and Anubias with some Vallis at the back.
I have started using the reflector on the back tube reversed but I'm not 100% sure how much it actually reduces the lighting,there is no light spilling out of the hood so I suppose it is still going into the tank although not sure if,perhaps,the intensity is lower.
I think time will tell in my case.

Back