• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A few problems with co2.

Richard

Hi guys,
I started using pressurised co2 on 23rd January this year,I've never done this before so I was not to sure what to expect.
Well all went well regarding the setting up etc and everything looks very neat and professional in my Rio 125 cabinet.
There are a few things that I'm not too sure about,for starters the diffusor throws out lovely minute bubbles,almost a mist really,and they go into the current of my spraybar which further distributes them to all the corners of the tank,trouble is they seem to stay in suspension for a very long time spoiling the appearance of the tank,is this normal?

Now another thing,my wife has a Betta Splendens,lovely fish,her pride and joy,but once the co2 has been on for an hour or so he starts acting funny,laying on the bottom or behind my spraybar,haven't seen any other fish acting weird yet but life wouldn't be worth living if something happened to her Betta.

The bubble counter is showing 2bps and the drop checker is green,PH 7.6.

So am I worrying unduly or is there something that doesn't sound right,I know the PH is a bit high and the water round here is very hard,even the tap water comes out at 40ppm Nitrate.

Really not sure if I'm going to benefit from co2 supplementation or not.

I have the same thing with the bubbles from the diffuser. Trying to find a way to reduce the visible bubbles somehow because they do spoil the look of the tank somewhat...

Betta are labyrinth fish, so they need to breathe oxygen from the water surface. Is there enough space for the Betta to easily get to the surface of the water...?

Thanks for your reply Sacha,
Yes there's plenty of free surface area,I know about the labyrinth bit,that's what is worrying me as he doesn't seem to go to the surface at all when it's on.
I'm wondering if an 'inline' diffusor would sort that problem out.

Move your spray bar up a tad to get more gas exchange.
hoggie

At the moment the spray bar is set so as it points downward with a slight surface ripple without actually splashing back into the tank,should I have so as it actually breaks the water surface?

I have actually lost a few fish over the past few days,1 Harlequin and 3 Cardinal Tetras,all old fish, plus I had to go without a filter for a day a little while ago,none of this would help but I am wondering if this is anything to do with the co2.
I'm going to keep an eye on my stock to avoid losing anymore,but if it carries on then I think my co2 system will be in the classifieds.

A little update,I turned the spraybar so that it disturbed the surface of the water enough to certainly help with gas exchange,my bubble counter is showing
2 bps,dropchecker isn't exactly showing lime green,more like a very pale greeny blue colour so I suspect that my co2 level is slightly down on the optimum but I'm no expert.Whilst I was feeding the fish I noticed 2 more of my Harlequins showing obvious signs of distress,I have now turned off the co2 and agitated the water surface more in the hope that they recover,if they die that will be 4 Harlequins and 3 Cardinal Tetras I've lost since I started co2 on the 23rd January,seems like I must be doing something wrong although all my tank parameters are fine.

Not sure that co2 supplementation is for me so keep your eyes on the 'for sale' section in the coming days!

Hello hoggie,
Right,well the tap water is coming out at 7.2 PH,as for the tank conditions,well no,the aerating used to be pretty poor but recently I took out the internal filter and installed an external with a spray bar and now the aeration is much better with better surface agitation.

Hi Richard
I would turn the Co2 down and go for a green colour in the drop checker and keep a eye on the fish....for a few hours.
If they are still suffering raise the spray bar up more....see what happens.
hoggie

Okay hoggie,I'll give that a go,have to be tomorrow now.I suspect in a way that the conditions in the tank are a lot more lively now,what with the extra flow and the surface movement and I wonder if the older inhabitants are finding it a bit hard for their ageing fins etc,and are giving up the ghost so to speak.

Anyway I'll keep the post updated,thanks for your suggestions.

I have tuned the bubble counter to 1bps and so far today all the fish are ok,drop checker is not green though,more like a very pale blue colour so I suspect that 1bps is not quite enough,I'll leave things as they are for now and increase the bubble count slightly tomorrow and see how things go.

Hi Vaz,
I have just renewed my lighting and changed from the original Juwel lighting to Arcadia pro tubes,they don't seem as bright as the originals but the tank looks better.
Today I looked in the tank and my wifes Betta was lying on the bottom dead and my last surviving Harlequin was lying behind my bogwood also dead.I hate losing fish and I have now decided that pressurised co2 is not for me so I'm going to put the complete system on Gumtree and start dosing liquid carbon.

Thanks for trying to help,and all you other guys for your suggestions.

sad news, I too am having a little trouble with co2 with about the same size tank, roma 125 with the same 2x28w t5 tubes. I think my problem is the heavy stocking levels. It really seems to be a fine line but I've only had the co2 one when I've been sat next to the tank to monitor it. My fish get stressed within about an hour of the co2 going on. They get stressed if I turn the airstone off for more than 12 hours without the co2 running. I think the trick will to be go into it slowly. I'll start by putting the air stone on a timer and increasing the surface ripple from the spray bar.

Sorry to here about your fish losses but I'm glad I'm not the only one having some issues.

Back