• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fire extinguisher CO2

That seller is not selling anymore. What regulator should I buy? Co2 is just to make the plants grow faster, correct?

That seller is not selling anymore. What regulator should I buy? Co2 is just to make the plants grow faster, correct?

Site sponsor CO2 Art sells regulators at a very reasonable price and their service is superb. I've used their stuff for a good couple of months now and been very happy with it :)

Don't get into CO2 thinking of it as a simple fix/upgrade, it is not a straight forward on/off switch. CO2 involves getting many factors correct, lights, ferts, flow, distribution etc etc. Lots more to it than you may think. But great learning how to ;)

No you dont need co2, certain plants do require co2 but theres a hugh amount that can be grown low tech ( no co2 )

Have a search on the forum for low tech there tons of info and journals

Hth

Hi everyone,
I've been reading this very interesting article from the first post and I have set up my first ever co2 unit with no problems whatsoever thanks to all you guys and your input.
In fact I have found you all so helpful that I have joined the forum,as we all need good info at times.

Now here comes the questions,hopefully I wont have many problems as I have followed this good tutorial virtually word for word and everything is looking good.
I bought all my equipment,(except fire extinguisher),from CO2 Art who have been really good with their prices and speed of delivery,I now have an excellent set up at a very good price.
On the subject of drop checkers and indicator solution,I am using 4 DKH solution at about 2.5 ml in the glass drop checker and 5 drops of the co2 indicator solution.
the solution colour is very weak blue,once it's in the tank it's barely noticeable up against the black of my internal filter and under my T5 lighting.
So what colour blue should I be aiming for,the recommended dose was 4-5 drops which I used but obviously this is not enough,so do any of you guys have any suggestions,I don't think this little bottle will last me very long at this rate.
Thanks in advance.

I did the same,I was pretty nervous first time I did this so I made sure everything was off,nothing to worry about though,all was fine.

Been looking in on the forum for quite a while now, so took the leap and joined the forum so be kind!!

Many thanks for this write up regarding FEs. great thread! I have been long over due going down the CO2 route as it seems really pricey. But came across this method! Woohoo!! :bookworm:

I managed to get 5 x 2kg CO2 FEs for £40. That only went past their service date thingy in Jan-14, Also got a reg from here...
Aquarium CO2 Regulator Dual Gauged Solenoid Magnetic Valve | eBay

Few questions..
Will this reg be okay?
What is the set up order...
1) Take off horn
2) screw on reg
3) open up FE
4) set pressure
5) close FE
6) set up timer on solenoid
7) connect up to diffuser, counter etc.
8) open back up
9) set bubble count

That about right?

I shall upload pictures hopefully once it's all set up! :)

Hi Mike

I would go with...
1 then 2 then 7 then 6 with timer switched to on rather than clock/timer to make sure the solenoid is open, or just omit the timer for the moment and connect it after its all set up.
Make sure regulator valve and needle valve are closed then slowly push the handle on the FE and secure it closed/pushed together.
Slowly open the valve on the regulator and set the pressure then slowly open the needle valve to set the bubble count.
Wait for the pressure to push the gas through the system and diffuser, you will have to adjust the regulator pressure/needle valve to get the correct bps after the gas starts to flow through the diffuser.

Nice price on the FE bottles by the way

Cheers. He sells them normally at £10 a go. But as I hooked him up with a bigger deal (my new office needs quite a few FEs) He gave me another CO2 for free, almost like commission. haha :angelic:

Anyway, okay, I'll probably leave timer last.

So make sure when I first blast the FE, the reg is fully closed. Then slowly open it up to set pressure, then open up needle valve to set bubbles.

Excellent. Cheers for the help

I'll let you know how I get on.

Anyone wanting FE's, get in touch and I can see if this chap has any. He,s around Birmingham/Coventry/Wolverhampton area, but he does travel and has clients all over England.

Holy moly...over 60,000 hits for a thread in a niche forum, that's some going. Well done Themuleous. It's got to be indicative of the growing popularity of planted tanks, UKAPS and...err...fire extinguishers...o_O

Back