• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Persistent Trouble Maker

After 2 weeks the carpet died. Disheartened and ready to quit I just left alone, neglected water changes, went days with no ferts. All of a sudden I noticed new growth and decided to let it run it`s course.

I'm not sure the neglect approach is the answer just yet haha

But Thankyou, patience isn't my strong point, I'll keep on at it! Good to know nightmares can turn into beautiful scapes!

Alastair, hello. I haven't been around in ages. Life has been real hectic for a while now. Sod's law, wasn't expecting much from this tank was a bit of a suck it and see. After we moved in the summer I managed 2 weeks with no tank. Had to get something set up.

Just Googled "Rhizoclonium" It would appear we could have a match. (Description:- Strands of fine green or brownish threads which are soft and slimy)
General consensus is lack of ferts, poor CO2, and a general lack of maintenance. My CO2 and flow are good, and maintenance is done weekly. So I will be re-evaluating my EI & dosing.

I am a little confused though as judging by the health of the HC I thought everything was fine. testament to the Aqua Soil I suppose? Which leads to the question....Does dosing the water column benefit plants if they are getting a good supply of nutrients from the substrate?

Thanks everyone.:thumbup:

NEVER assume your CO2 is good.
Melosira is more likely the alga in question. Rhizoclonium is very green in color.

Shrimp can get rid of it, if you fluff off the majority of it and do not feed the shrimp.
More frequent water changes should help, particularly if the CO2 is at fault.
So 2-3x a week etc till the alga is gone.

HC grows super floating on moss in any of my tanks, same for Gloss, E hydropiper etc, any of the carpeting plants.
So water column ferts alone are ample for these foreground plants. But floating, and DSM...........what might they be getting they are limited by underwater?

Now there's a good question for you.

Back