• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Iwagumi layouts - please offer your input/advice

Most certainly time for me to get sleep as the following indicates...

3ysa7use.jpg

Posted from the comfort of my iPhone...

Hope to get some new layouts done this weekend. Stay tuned.

Been busy for the last few hours and here are the results. Opinions/thoughts/input always welcome.

zehunyje.jpg

ry6unama.jpg

Just tweaked #8 a little more for the next one.

se9uru5u.jpg

Are the newer attempts any better in your opinion than the first few I did? Why?

7 is the best for sure.

There something a little off with the rock in the top right, I think it's because your two tallest rocks are leaning the same way and also there are 4 rocks in total instead of an odd number. But ignoring those Iwagumi rules isn't the end of the world as long as you're happy. It's still my favourite and the one id personally work on.

I would offer advice on where to place that right hand rock but I can't think of another way within the space and rocks you have....so yeah #7

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

Love this thread. And the time to try out different arrangements. My only big comment is that some of the early ones had too many parallel lines between rocks, particularly compared to other people.

Glad you like the thread, it's fun doing these layouts, but is frustrating at the same time.

Thanks for the feedback - care to elaborate?

7 is the best for sure.

There something a little off with the rock in the top right, I think it's because your two tallest rocks are leaning the same way and also there are 4 rocks in total instead of an odd number. But ignoring those Iwagumi rules isn't the end of the world as long as you're happy. It's still my favourite and the one id personally work on.

I would offer advice on where to place that right hand rock but I can't think of another way within the space and rocks you have....so yeah #7

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

Thanks Richard - I am leaning towards #7 myself and agree on your points. The layout is actually comprised of 5 rocks, left side consists of 3, they just look like a single in the image - need to see how I can add a little depth to that side prior to planting.

The photos really change everything - the photos posted in this thread are only the layouts that I've thought had 'something' when viewed in a photo. Done so many where I thought they worked, took a picture and the image revealed how bad it actually was. Think I've done about 15 different layouts in the last week alone, and I'm still not happy.

Considering a trip out to get more rocks... Saw some mini landscape type rock at a LFS last weekend - might offer me some new options, the current crop of Baltic rock feels limiting.

Hi there,
Nice thread, it's good to take your time and find a hardscape your happy with from the off, that way your not second guessing yourself further down the line when it's more difficult to alter....,,,However don't get so hung up on it that you talk yourself out of something you like :)
I too like layout 7. If your wanting to create more depth of field try removing about half of the substrate at the foreground and add it back to the rear, either evenly or to bias to the right hand side for example creating more gradient and using it to lead the eye. In doing this you could also move the rocks slightly further forward giving more room to work, tweak and plant and enhance further the illusion of depth.
I like the rock used, if your finding it limiting perhaps try and source a few more pieces of it to work with.
Happy scaping :)
Ady.

Back