• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY stainless steel inlets / outlets?

greenink

Have made quite a few acrylic inlets / outlets using a pains tripping gun and a pipe bending spring (is in my journal somewhere!)

But am really taken with the ADA jet pipes and was wondering how hard it would be to make these in a DIY style.

1_0b_l.jpg
2_0_l.jpg

After a bit of googling, it seems bending stainless steel is easier than I'd expected.

And the bits and pieces are quite cheap...

A pipe bender is £30

15mm o/d, 12mm i/d is about £9 a metre on ebay. This is the same size as Amano's steel flow, and a bit smaller than the Natural Aquario ones.

So for £70 you could make two inlets and two outlets. Think you'd have to cut the holes with a hacksaw in the inlet, to get a similar design to the NA one.

Not sure how you'd do the ADA mesh stuff.

Has anyone tried this? Am particularly tempted as need a slightly unusual shaped pipe for my next 'hole in the wall' project...

Its on my todo list but works been to busy for me to get round to it, the only issue is the pipe benders everyone of the cheap ones ive found dont bend to 180 degree and the ones that do have a large radius which would make the pipes stand out to much, proper stainless steel pipe benders with a small radius are around £130 and rare as hens teeth in the uk

Yes broke the pipe bender strait Off. So if you have the strong tube I'd advise heat but them it will discolor which could look cool.:) I looked on the tube and saw people making benders from flywheel alternator pulleys and box section that's what I'd make.:) do you know a tig welder to tig the bits for the suckers that would finish them nice.

If you use aluminium tube and stainless steel mesh strainer, you might be effectively making a battery. The voltage won't be high enough to mess with fish, but it might lead to corrosion.
(I know this can be an issue with car bodywork, but it don't know to what extent it will translate to aquaria.)

Back