• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rock'n Valley

Getting some ideas....making a drawing....collecting rocks....doubts....washing rocks and gravel...back pain...muscle ache....emptying tank...where do I leave the fish?....In other words: "re-do the fish tank".

Tank size: 120x45x55
Substrate: gravel and ADA Amazonia (about 4cm covering the gravel)
Lights: 4x T5 54Watt (only 2 lights will be on at one time)
Filter: 2x Atman CF1200
Fertilizing: EI + CO2

The drawing
blackback_zps6e644e83.jpg

The rocks
2013-11-17160610_zps0f91d87b.jpg

The base
2013-12-01141608_zpsd8a92513.jpg

The start
2013-12-01151148_zps674b0f11.jpg

After moving, twisting and turning is this how it ended up. I will leave this for a couple of days and maybe fiddle around if needed. Next weekend, time for planting.
2013-12-01170552_zps89436244.jpg

The back will become black.

Lovely drawing and layout. Overall great, but can't help wondering if it would look a bit more natural if the grain of the rocks was slightly more aligned.

Can see (I think) what you're doing with the big stone, but to my eye it doesn't look quite natural compared to the others, and overall the layout is very flowing.

I like the big stone... breaks up what would otherwise look like a very 'organised' scape imo... The planting will go some way towards this also I feel.

Love the sketch, will look great when done I reckon!

Lovely sketch but will it not lack a bit of height?
Will you use Utricularia graminifolia ?

Hi Martin

I've removed your 5 duplicate threads.

The layout looks good. At the moment the main stone is a little too distracting because of the different strata direction compared to your other smaller stones. You could try turning your smaller stones more in line, just a little. There's a fine line between pleasing contrast and monotony, especially with so few elements.

HC or "Monte Carlo" would be a suitable plant. It stays low.

Hi Martin

I've removed your 5 duplicate threads.

The layout looks good. At the moment the main stone is a little too distracting because of the different strata direction compared to your other smaller stones. You could try turning your smaller stones more in line, just a little. There's a fine line between pleasing contrast and monotony, especially with so few elements.

HC or "Monte Carlo" would be a suitable plant. It stays low.
...Good suggestion ...I will try that

Hello martin, looking good, lovely stones, mine no expert but i do think that the largest stone looks alittle lost perhaps raise, in your mock up the relationship been the largest stone and other stones seemed to work better.

Definantly agree with george, hc would look lovely and stay quite low, you need plently of c02, and light.

Could I also suggest alittle mini hair grass diserpered amongsted the stones?

turned some stones a bit as George suggested ....
2013-12-04180535_zpsade4d113.jpg

Also put a black background on it which still need to be glued but I couldn't get the glue yet.....

I think the overall look is much better...less organized....

I found some "Monte Carlo" today and bought all they had (6)....I hope it will be enough

It looks promising. I can't help feel, however, that large stone "blocks" the scape somewhat. There will be a relatively large hidden area behind it, which I don't think will work too well. Other than that the composition is really well executed. It is easy to imagine how good it will look when planted. Patience will be required for all spaces to be covered with plants. I am four months into Alpine Gardens and still not all the way...

Thomas

It looks promising. I can't help feel, however, that large stone "blocks" the scape somewhat. There will be a relatively large hidden area behind it, which I don't think will work too well. Other than that the composition is really well executed. It is easy to imagine how good it will look when planted. Patience will be required for all spaces to be covered with plants. I am four months into Alpine Gardens and still not all the way...

Thomas

I love your "Alpine Gardens"...and I think it is there....I will try to be patient, but I do hope it will be fully grown in a day or 2..Whahaha
I like it that you can't see the whole scape because of that bigger rock, this makes it more interesting to me....this is a technic used in garden design to make the garden feel bigger....

What a great drawing, times liek this I wished I could draw. I like the big stone where it is, means you have to look round it to see whats lurkign behind !

I love your "Alpine Gardens"...and I think it is there....I will try to be patient, but I do hope it will be fully grown in a day or 2..Whahaha I like it that you can't see the whole scape because of that bigger rock, this makes it more interesting to me....this is a technic used in garden design to make the garden feel bigger....

Thanks. This is actually the first time I have stuck with a set-up for this long. Although I sometimes itch to try something new (and I will in not too long) there is also a satisfaction in seeing things develop and nurture the scape in the small details. About the stone, I can see what you mean...maybe I will be convinced when it is planted up :). Looking forward to following this.

Thomas

De plants are in, most of them....some Eleocharis will follow later and maybe Riccia....but first let the "Monte Carlo" do it's thing.
2013-12-08eerstedagvanaanplantingPS_zps45af7448.jpg

The picture was taken a few hours after planting.
The spray bar is less visual with the black back which makes me happy...the heater still is though, but that one can come out after 2 or 3 months.

Back