• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Moss

chris_A

Seedling
Afternoon all,
A general one on Moss plants you see looking so lovely on wood.
How is that Moss made to look so in place and neat, I have tied mine down several times, it grows and just looks a mess.
I have read that if you keep trimming it down it will grow in layers and with time will look like that? Is this true.

Thanks - Chris

Two things to consider, Chris : conditions to grow in - and what kind of moss !!!
Mosses can grow in low light and generally "less good" conditions ............but the ones you've seen looking really great on those roots are quite surely grown in better light and very good conditions (fx. added CO2).
Not all types of moss are equally suited for any use. Find the type, that has the growt-pattern you want (fx. Weeping for hanging down growth or Flame for straight up growth.........or Christmas for dense growth.......)
- and the trimming, ofcourse, is supposed to help the moss to grow better, according to its natural growth-pattern and keeping the shape of it.
Mick.

I also find that growing mosses along with shrimp is a fantastic idea, the mosses will get a good cleaning form the shrimp and in turn the shrimp gets food! Win win situation. If your tank does not allow shrimps to live perhaps due to large fish etc then you can consider having a gentle flow around the moss which should help and when you do water changes hover the siphon over it to rid it of dirt.

Michael.

...lastly, all moss loves a good dusting...use a turkey baster to wash off the inevitable debris it collects, i've found hoover/siphon can be too aggresive for this job.

Ps there's only a few mosses that naturally "bind" to wood, the rest need to be permanently tied. Fissidens binds, but doesn't creep as far as I've seen. The old classic java moss binds and creeps.

cheers

I have heard about blending mosses, mixing them with some water repellent gel and then spread on anything you want.
Does any one done it before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you scroll down the linked page, George has pictures of blending mosses together. If it helps save your scrolling finger, it's post number 236

Hi thanks for the link, great journal:)
It's not laziness, i'm just new to this forum and to Tapatalk, so sorry for inconvenience ;)
Thanx again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back