• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Absolutely love it, those shrimp are incredible and so many of them! :clap:

cheers timms, there are a few too many now, i have noticed the population is starting to level off so will be moving 50 or so on soon.

Fantastic video,so Intresting a Taiwan bee tank,definately my dream somewhere down the road.Have you got any idea of PH,Gh and TDS in your tank?Cheers Mark

they are pretty cool mark, one of my favourite past times is staring at the tank to see what weird and wonderful morph's have appeared.
I remineralize with bee shrimp gh to tds of 100 for new water at WC to bring the tds back down to 150ish from ferts and food etc over the 7-14 days between wc. I have no idea what the other param's are but being as the substrate is ebigold which buffers shrimp tanks well and the reminerizing i would guess Ph6, gh around 6/7 ish... only measure TDS and temp. TDS is in the 200's at the moment which could also be the reason for slow breeding now, trying to bring it down with more regular WC as been busy of late.

Really lovely video you've uploaded, so many shrimp and looking very health... What additive if any do you use to maintain your water parameters? And what is the plants you have carpeting? seem to filling out nicely...

As above mate, Bee Shrimp Gh+ to maintain params and just 1ml of tropica ferts every few days... could really do with more you can see issues in some of the plants.
Carpet plant is sold as Elantine Hydropiper by tropica in 12grow but this is wrong. It generally sold as MonteCarlo3, think it is being reclassified properly at the moment. Its the same plant as in my 60 as high tech yet there is no difference in appearance which is unusual. Its one of the few carpet plants ive had a success with in ultra low tech like this.

Hi, just found this journal as I have got very into low tech nano tanks, and I just think you have a tiny slice of paradise there!
One thing I am unsure about, are you lighting this with the LED's you mentioned? I really struggled with my TMC tile on my little nano until I got hold of a controller. If the brand you use has some sort of control unit I would definitely invest when you get funds, as they are a super cool toy as well as making life easier algae wise. Just explaining my thoughts, you are clearly a lot more talented than me however, so just my ideas mate.
All the best from Bill. :D

Again another well over due update. This has been some what neglected of late, no water change for 2-3 weeks, bit of surface scum, TDS i darent check yet all seems well as far as the livestock go. Plant wise not... not as great, needs a little love as the pelia is all detaching as not been trimmed and a few plants showing deficiencies.
Population is still booming though even after moving some on.

10336760935_a60e4f60b5_o.jpg
IMG_3568 by iainsutherland24, on Flickr

Have spotted 3 of these recently though... blue bolts with black heads, no doubt have a name of some sort but for now ill just go with f'in cool :)

10336942513_3349988b57_o.jpg
IMG_3573 by iainsutherland24, on Flickr
Shadow mosura. A litttle crawling fortune!

All really good with the bee tank, no issues at all and even some positives which ill come back to...
So i sent out 50 odd shrimp to Alastair but in my stupidity i bagged them all together, subsequently they were all DOA :arghh: Sad times. I now know that 15-20 is the max to bag together without issue, really wish i had asked before hand!!
So back to those positives..since removing those shrimp all the adults are berried again which i hadnt seen for ages and there is even a few new babies popping up already. So i now have a rough idea of what the max stocking level is before breeding stops and will endever to keep it below that number. Funnily enough the water is also crystal clear with no surface scum at all for the first time since starting this tank... not sure if the lower numbers are the cause but its good to see.
In the same vain i have ordered another NA 40cm to go next to this one, idea being that i can strip out the shadow pandas, king kongs,blue bolts and shadow mosuras (which there seems to be more of now:D) and start selectively breeding them with this tank being the cash cow to pay for my inclination to keep buying stuff for this hobby.
Given i have an extra tank in the shed that is also coming to work for my desk for the a few higher grade crs/cbs with blue tigers in the hope of creating some mad looking tiger bees... who knows. I understand that they need to cross breed back again to get the genes to work so will leave them all in and just see what happens.

So opinions time... should the new 40 next to this one have the same scape to create either a single cental island/two island effect and swop the tanks around to change the scape as i please or should it contrast with just rocks, wood and leaves.... what do you think??
Going down to eds in a week or two so will be picking up the bits needed....

night all :wave:

I fancy breeding some of the tibees, the white with black marks look lovely

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

All really good with the bee tank, no issues at all and even some positives which ill come back to...
So i sent out 50 odd shrimp to Alastair but in my stupidity i bagged them all together, subsequently they were all DOA :arghh: Sad times. I now know that 15-20 is the max to bag together without issue, really wish i had asked before hand!!
So back to those positives..since removing those shrimp all the adults are berried again which i hadnt seen for ages and there is even a few new babies popping up already. So i now have a rough idea of what the max stocking level is before breeding stops and will endever to keep it below that number. Funnily enough the water is also crystal clear with no surface scum at all for the first time since starting this tank... not sure if the lower numbers are the cause but its good to see.
In the same vain i have ordered another NA 40cm to go next to this one, idea being that i can strip out the shadow pandas, king kongs,blue bolts and shadow mosuras (which there seems to be more of now:D) and start selectively breeding them with this tank being the cash cow to pay for my inclination to keep buying stuff for this hobby.
Given i have an extra tank in the shed that is also coming to work for my desk for the a few higher grade crs/cbs with blue tigers in the hope of creating some mad looking tiger bees... who knows. I understand that they need to cross breed back again to get the genes to work so will leave them all in and just see what happens.

So opinions time... should the new 40 next to this one have the same scape to create either a single cental island/two island effect and swop the tanks around to change the scape as i please or should it contrast with just rocks, wood and leaves.... what do you think??
Going down to eds in a week or two so will be picking up the bits needed....

night all :wave:

I was heart broken when I saw them all at the bottom of the bag mate :(:(

I think a similar looking scape will contrast perfectly with the current one. Might look odd with sonething totally different next to it..
But then again...........

Not much to report as just ticking along. Haven't had time to collect the other tank yet, hopefully saturday.

weak bolt but i kind of like the markings.
12152104555_4a99cd4e44_b.jpg
weak bolt by iainsutherland24, on Flickr

12152346093_f286d9a912_b.jpg
panda by iainsutherland24, on Flickr

I think it gorgeous. Looks like a jelly bean :D

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Did you start off with with mixed tiawan bee f1 and then get the king kongs and blue bolts from that?

Iain,could I ask you how long you had the tank cycling before you put in your first Taiwan bees?And do you do change your water every week and how much roughly?Cheers Mark.

Think it was about 3 weeks before I could get down to collect the shrimp. It depends on the substrate though as with ebi gold you can add livestock straight off.

I'm supposed to do it every week but it's been nearly 3 weeks now, it's my job this morning... As long as the tds doesn't go too high I'm not really worried.... Think it's about 215 at the mo, I water change about 1/3rd with water remineralised to 100 which will bring it down to 180 ish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back