• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anubias rapid growth rate?

Reuben

Hi all,

When I read up on this plant (anubias) I tend to get told it is very slow growing as aquatic plants go.

My tank is Co2 enriched, with what i think is fairly low lighting, and good flow etc.

The thing is the anubias in my tank grow faster that all the other plants I have (except G spilanthoides), compared to rotala rotundifolia, P stellatus, and Java fern it grows much more rapidly. At any one time each plant will have three or four new leaves and now they are flowering too!

Any ideas why these 'slow growers' might be doing well when my other 'rapid stems' are fairly sluggish?

Bit of an impossible question to answer I suppose, but I'm often surprisedjust how much people here know.

Thanks.

2x TMC grobeam 600s (1 inch above surface) set to max at 20% output, tank is 40cm deep. 125L. Lighting on for 8hrs

I'm dosing EI
Thanks

So they are only set to 20%? try upping them by 10% per week to 40% Increase Co2 as necessary and monitor.

Yes, I just recently dropped back from 60% output because I had a wobble with my Co2. I actually tend to get diatom growth whenever I increase the lighting, but never any other form of algae, bit weird.

There are photos of the set up in my journal here:
Two Islands | UK Aquatic Plant Society

Thanks for the input.

I could upload a photo of the anubias, you can see all the new leaves, because they are a lighter green at first. The flowers are yet to break bud.

2x TMC grobeam 600s (1 inch above surface) set to max at 20% output, tank is 40cm deep. 125L. Lighting on for 8hrs

I'm dosing EI
Thanks

Perhap's more nutrient's are more readily available in the water at the moment depending on age/composition of substrate.
If substrate is new,or inert,, maybe it isn't producing much in the way of nutrient's .Has been said,that plant's will take up nutrient's where they find them,but maybe anubia are better equipped to draw from the water??

Perhap's more nutrient's are more readily available in the water at the moment depending on age/composition of substrate.
If substrate is new,or inert,, maybe it isn't producing much in the way of nutrient's .Has been said,that plant's will take up nutrient's where they find them,but maybe anubia are better equipped to draw from the water??

This seems like it may be the answer. Most plants get the majority of their nutrients through their roots, but anubias are geared towards having their roots in the water column. So basically all your other plants are a bit peckish!

Back