• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Thanks for the quick reply. I look forward to the photos :) and good luck getting it ready and moved! :eek:

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

All I can say is thank God for the therapeutic power of the press-up!

press-upd.jpg

Just spent over 3hrs photographing this tank, only to find the memory card in my camera decided to corrupt itself, resulting in losing all images. Total waste of time and effort. :( I was so angry I even swore in front of my mother-in-law. It was the "F" too. I am not proud.

So I started all over, digging out - again - the extra lighting, tripod, hairdryer, a new memory card, and actually came out with some better shots than before. Here's a couple of my favourites...

For the FTS I went as wide focal length as possible (24mm vs my usual 50-80mm), which exaggerated the sense of depth, brining into plant the upright piece of wood on the left as a focal point.

You can make out some algae amongst the moss but it's 90% improved over 48hrs ago. :)

full tank.jpg

logo.jpg

pair red eye.jpg

It looks the business mate and good to see that the SAE have worked their magic for you... but sorry to hear of the memory card problem! I think I would of done a bit more than swear though. Your extra work has paid off.... Those photos are stunning! And the red eyes suit it well. I'm now thinking that on my weekly maintenance this week I need to get one of me maybe going some sit ups as the water drains.... Although I will need to up my game on you and Ian and wear the full gear I think....tennis gear and headband springs to mind :)

George, beautiful photos as usual.
You're not having the best of luck with this tank but your attitude before this setbacks are the best anyone could have.

BTW, You mention 24mm but what aperture have you used? The last photo have stunning fish photos while your moos looks incredible too.

Thanks guys. :)

I've just emptied the tank and caught all the livestock. It's all in a 25 litre bucket with mature filter and some wood for cover. There's a few shrimp MIA, but I'm hopeful they'll survive in the little water that remains in the tank.

What camera do you use?
Hi Thomas - It's a Canon 6D. Their cheapest full-frame offering but a very nice bit of kit nonetheless. Lenses I use are the 24-105 and 100mm macro.

You mention 24mm but what aperture have you used? The last photo have stunning fish photos while your moss looks incredible too.
That last shot is f/7.1. I usually shoot these kind of shots with a medium aperture (f/5.6 to f/11), as I like to get some depth of field, but maintain a little out of focus background. Shots are a little sharper at these apertures too. It also allows for some room for error when it comes to focusing on the fish. It's worth mentioning that with this camera is that I can shoot high ISOs with very little noise, which is great for aquarium photography when you need fast shutter speeds to freeze fish movement or shoot macro handheld.

...the fitness regime seems to be working well, will it be iron man contests instead of iaplc next year ?
Who knows!? :) I'd probably rank higher. lol

Reactions: tim
Hi Thomas - It's a Canon 6D. Their cheapest full-frame offering but a very nice bit of kit nonetheless. Lenses I use are the 24-105 and 100mm macro.

Nice kit, unfortunately out of my range at the moment, but really makes a difference.

If you have 15 minutes on your next visit to Tropica (I am 5 minutes away) I would gladly offer you a nice selection of Danish beer for a couple of professional shots of the scape :).

Thomas

I've gone AWOL from UKAPS for a few weeks and have just started catching up. Great videos George. Although the music selection on one of them made me think your tank was leaking and dripping on the floor! You'll never catch a video of me doing maintenance because its so hot here I usually do maintenance without a shirt on. And no, I don't do press ups at all so don't wanna post PG13 rated videos of myself LOL.

Would be nice if you caught some pics of the setup as you moved it. Don't think I'll ever do the same but would be nice to know.

Hi all,

So the tank and scape is safely back from AQUA Telford, and these are a couple of my favourite shots from the show.

10211540613_c4521ec32f_o.jpg
AquaGro display by George Farmer, on Flickr

_MG_3400.jpg

The set-up got a lot of interest from retailers, which gave me a great opportunity to engage and sell the whole aquascaping concept, how it should be used to set up decent display tanks in-store and help inspire the customers and new hobbyists.

I doubt I'll keep this running for much longer. I've an overwhelming urge to set up an Iwagumi using Micranthemum sp. "Monte Carlo".... :)

Back