• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Proper attempt

If its a multistage reg its better than 95% of folks on here. to buy a new BOC multistage reg new, your looking at £118 from boc. The solenoid looks quite good quality too. I'm very jealous and others will be too its capable of running a large number of tanks. Its a bit of a waste for a glass type diffuser

Hi all,
Ok,Takashi Amano revolutionized aquarium keeping. Don't you think that such an important person, who made planted aquarium a successful and easy thing to achieve, do have researched a lot more that 20 years, and had developed the best products he could bring to market, so he can be successful in aquarium business like he is. I believe that those products are important...
I agree we need to remain a "broad church", and every-one is has the perfect right to their opinion, but the OP started by saying he was a chemist and that he had analysed the ADA products.
- Penac W (is mainly SiO2 in around 99%), sample purchased on ebay is exactly the same -
Penac P (CaCO3 in 98% and a bit of MgCO3), again sample ok. -
Super Clear - this is just an Activated Carbon very fine milled
So that means they are quartz sand, limestone showing some small degree of dolomitization and charcoal. No problem with any of them, but they aren't magic substances that you can't get any-where else.
The function of adding sphagnum moss peat is really to add carbohydrates to the sediment.
It does, but it also has a very high CEC and all its exchange sites are initially filled with H+ ions, so it will sequester basic cations from water column and exchange them for protons. The situation is different with nearly all other vegetation, which doesn't grow exclusively in ombrotrophic mires and adds nutrients and bases rather than removing them.

An alternative to peat is to use dead Oak leaves, which are also proton donors and rich in tannins and humic substances that resist decomposition in a similar manner to Sphagnum peat..

cheers Darrel

Hello again
I've made some progress since the last posting.
Purchased a new tank, nothing fancy, just a glass tank from Pet City for 32quids... maybe one day I will be able to afford a proper optiwhite tank:(
9598557350_d39f3280b2_c.jpg

A bit of peat mixed with activated carbon on the bottom:
9598559442_0448855263_c.jpg

Applied first layer of my coarse grade Akadama with a bit of Penac W:
9595770071_2a98c296a3_c.jpg

This is how my "Power Sand" looks like after applying all the ADA stuff:
9598563600_e8075b5a65_c.jpg

I dont have a photo, but I have also spreaded around famous Osmocote and then covered it all with the rest of Coarse Akadama, finishing it with fine fraction. Need to focus now on arranging some decent layout. This will take some time... I am after some Iwagumi stones and a bogwood.
9598565724_4ee29c445b_c.jpg

Like I said before, I dont know if all these things makes sense and are right, but I am enjoying myself as never before. Which I think is the most important thing in this hobby.

A question to you guys:
My new tank lenght is 790mm and I am after a LED lights for it.
I've been looking to get this beauty:
Classica OTL LED Freshwater 620mm (73W) | Charterhouse Aquatics
It says its 620mm long, but it has an Adjustable legs for on tank fitting.
Am I gonna be able to adjust them to my new tank dimensions? Can not find anywhere what is the maximum length that the legs can be adjusted to.

PS. Could someone recommend some nice acrylic light diffusing background?
Regards
Lukasz

I have got frosted glass on mine mini L and is awesome and waterproof. When get bored just peel it off and get new color vinyl:)

Thanks for the link clone, I've just ordered a bit to put on the lid of my low tech shrimp tank. TMC Mini 400 too much light even when its 30cm above tank so going to give this stuff a go. £1.99 is a lot cheaper than buying a controller!

it doesn't really matter what products you add to the sediment or even what type of sediment is being used

Thats very true, I had experience with the entire range of ADA ferts then switched to EI - couldn't be happier

Right, decided to order Arcadia Overtank Luminaire T5 Freshwater 800mm OT5 through the Charterhouse Aquatics.
I can't afford it to get a LED unit at this time. Hopefully it will be alright and if all goes well it will arrive on monday:D:D:D

I'l 2nd that! Those grooves looks great! It looks more weathered than the usual rocks used in many aquariums but still have character with the dramatic grooves. Which kind of rock is that?

Thanks guys! Just got a phone call from wife, Luminaire had arrived this morning:D Will post some pics later after work.

Folks
I really need your opinions. Is it better with the sand? Or without it?
9654935577_bf04d595af_c.jpg

A bit of both really, It looked good without the sand and it could look good with it, just a bigggggg bug bear of mineis seeing the sand meet the substrate like you have at the minute, I know people dont look at that part much bit for me it always draws my eye, so I guess if you like the sand you need to have it all along the front

Mark

Back