• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Piranha Tank at the London Aquarium

Apart from the piranha tank ... The London aquarium is so so so disappointing
Really poor displays and strange combinations of tanks and there inhabitants

Hope they sort things out :(

Two months have passed so I went to visit the tank and have a chat with the Aquarists (the guys that take care of it).

Some Cyano, and the moss on the wood is not growing. The tank needs nutrients in the water column. We need to sort that out.

However, the planted plants are really nice, good colours, the crypts are carpeting nicely, and devoid of algae.

It was a mission to take the video, so it is shaky, I went there early but it was packed, absolutely packed, especially around the tank, the kids love the piranhas. :)

This is the video.
http://youtu.be/0_ExiQPdVyM

Stunning tank, love the way the plants are taking off. I remember the red bellies being larger and few more of them? Did they sell the old lot? Any idea where they went as they were monsters (for red bellies)???

Hi.. Yes, they got rid of the old ones.. :) these are the babies..

I was very impressed with the crypts.. so clean and nice carpeting effect from them.. We should have carpeted the lot with crypts.. :)

Any idea where the old ones went? Any way I can find out? Thanks for the reply

That is looking really great. Do you know where the old batch of piranha went? As these ones were considerably smaller than the previous

They sold them on.. They were large.

The tank is thankfully still holding on. :)

Some issues with the anubias and mosses, no water collumn ferts, but the rooted plants are very healthy and doing well.

Any idea where they went? Did the anubias get algaed up due to the amount of light? That is what happened with mine :(

I visited the London Aquarium today, to drop 50kg of Dragon Stone and have a chat with the team.
The Piranha tank is almost 9 months old, and amazingly it is still holding. The choice of plants was really good, and it is a low tech.

The crypts are just amazing, I should have carpeted the lot with crypts, lesson for next large one.

The bolbitis are holding on, some new leaves, others wilted.. but holding on.

The real surprise are the anubias, they came back with a vengeance.. some flowering underwater.

The tank now has a large pleco (about 20cm long), and a shoal of ottos. The London Aquarium team will also add some ancistrus, maybe 10.

It was so cool to see some kids saying that it was spectacular.. Made my day. :)

I took videos and photos. Thankfully I took two cameras, as with one of them I filmed at 30p, and it is a bit jittery.. The other is normal camcorder, so will upload when I get home.

The 30p is uploading now to youtube, just so you see what is looks like.. forgive the jitters.. :)

Mesmerising - good flow in there. I like very much that it's low-energy - just goes to show that the right plant choice can make all the difference...

Back