• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

240ltr Discus planted tank

Discus in a planted aquarium:

Without any doubt, planted tank is one the beautiful looking of any kind of tanks. Many of us love to keep planted tank. It’s nice to see some awesome planted aquarium. It’s a great feelings when one keep beautiful discus in a planted tank. Especially when we see beautiful planted tank with discus we are amazed to see this beauty. Let me assume that you also keep planted tank. Now for the first time you want to keep discus in your planted. Ok, don’t worry. You can keep discus if you know some tricks about them.

i) Different types of discus that you can keep in a planted tank:

You have to be choosy enough for different strain of discus in a planted tank. You can’t choose all types of discus in a planted tank. Let me assume that you have a beautiful planted set up. But you keep some peepering prone or such type of discus. I see many planted experts keeping discus in their tanks but they keep juvenile and peepering discus. I feel very sad to see this. So to avoid this you can keep all turquoise strain, leopard, snakeskin, san merah, blue diamond etc.

You know planted tank can be classified of 2 different types. One is low-tech set up with DIY CO2, DIY substrate, low-medium light etc. keeping discus in this type of set up is comparatively easier.one can keep adult discus in this low-tech set up after 4-5 months of set up. Once the tank is settled well and tends to mature then you can keep them.

Other type of set up is high-tech planted tank with pressurised CO2 system, branded substrate, high light, proper dosing etc. keeping discus in this type of set up is little tricky. A branded substrate can cause problem for discus. In addition, due to high light, dosing, CO2 your discus can be stressed. So to avoid this what’s the option? The only option is to keep adult discus settling in this type of environment. I know many planted discus keepers who keep adult discus in a temporary planted set up and if a discus is settled enough then only they can transfer that discus to the main planted tank. But in your case I like to say that keep 4-4.5 inch+ (at least) discus. As you know adult discus is having more resistance power, so it will not be too much problem. Also one thing that I like to suggest you, In case of hi-tech planted set up please keep discus once tank is fully matured. During set up time there can be some fluctuation of water parameters which is hazardous to discus. You may say that in many cases I see lots of other strain of discus housing in a hi-tech planted tank. In most of the cases those discus are kept in this set up for a better video or picture purpose.

ii) Fish size you’ll choose for this type of tank:
Keeping discus in a planted aquarium is not like keeping discus in other types of tank. In other type of tanks you can easily keep and successfully raise 2-.25 inch discus. But for planted tank I suggest you to keep adult discus. As we all know adult discus can adapt more than juveniles. So keeping 4 inch plus discus is a very option for a planted tank. Since you use pressurised CO2 (for high-tech set up), we’ll often find juveniles are stressed or often goes top level of water. Discus demands more oxygen and in case of juveniles they need more than adult. That’s one of the reasons to choose adult discus in a planted tank.Also you know that discus will live better in a group. So keeping a batch of 4 inch size discus will be no problem for you.

i) Different types of discus that you can keep in a planted tank:

You have to be choosy enough for different strain of discus in a planted tank. You can’t choose all types of discus in a planted tank. Let me assume that you have a beautiful planted set up. But you keep some peepering prone or such type of discus. I see many planted experts keeping discus in their tanks but they keep juvenile and peepering discus. I feel very sad to see this. So to avoid this you can keep all turquoise strain, leopard, snakeskin, san merah, blue diamond etc.

Sorry for misunderstanding as clearly English isn't your first language (but you did a great job and it makes for an interesting read) but does the quoted statement mean it is better to stick to one strain/colour strain of discus?

ya English is not my 1st language.

i mean for a planted discus tank if anybody chooses strain like all turquoise strain, leopard, snakeskin, san merah, blue diamond etc. then he/she can't find peepering of those discus.a discus with peepering doesn't look good.

I have 4 discus 3.5 - 4 inch discus in my high-tech planted tank. Like you said, bright lights, CO2 injection, branded substrate. At first the discus were curious and they swam all around the tank. Within a few days they became reclusive, always looking for a place to hide. I think either the lights were too strong, or the other choice of fish in the tank, Congo tetra, were spooking them out. It was a really stupid mistake to mix discus and Congos.

CO2 injection was also an issue. I think too much CO2 led to the death of one discus. The other fish (congos, cardinal tetras and cories) were fine. No gasping at the surface or anything. Once CO2 goes too high the discus start turning black and becoming lethargic, eventually stop eating.

Space might have been an issue also. One of the discus bullied two others to death, then he also died (suspected due to CO2). My planted tank had too much hardscape I think.

Oh I see, you mean peppering. I understand what you're talking about now.

I'm thinking about having a high tech planted setup. I don't think I'll add discus until the tank has matured though, giving it at least six months until everything has settled. I also think I may refrain from high concentrations of CO2 just before discus are in the tank, and potentially reducing intensity/photo period when they're in to avoid having them shy away.

Sorry about your losses flygja.

I love the changes you have made to this, and the dimensions of this tank are similar to what I will be going for so I am quite encouraged at the results I might be able to achieve. Love the Discus too ! :)

Ha ha the video makes me laugh way too busy for discus. 2 groups of 3 discus either ends huddled together laying low looking at all the commotion and frantic movements of so many small fish... I can just hear their thoughts... "What the f**k!" Ha ha bless them. I'm so glad to see them all out swimming as a shoal in the picture that followed... Stunning set up!

Back